mercoledì 2 dicembre 2015

Thor the dark world - 2013

Well, it was a fun toy-movie, as all Marvel movies are, but not completely of my taste, because I spent all the second part, the big battle, thinking “when is Loki coming back?”, and “will he join the fight?”. Of course I never asked myself “if” he was alive, because Loki can’t die, it’s a Marvel character, they never die even when they do, and it was pretty clear he had gotten out of there on his own feet because we knew he was that soldier. That was the problem, that he did not show himself during the battle in any way. Didn’t he want his revenge for his mother’s death? I thought he did, she seemed to be the only one he really cared about. His death was a beautiful scene, all his scenes up to that point had been great and lots of fun. Nothing about them surprised me because I know Loki and his tricks, but they weren’t any less exciting because of this, on the contrary they were thrilling. I loved the two scenes when he protected Jane, he really put on a good show to make his death believable and touching, it was lovely, but then he disappeared and the final battle was all Thor and Jane. He should have been part of it, there should have been a bit more of the two brothers fighting side by side. Then of course he would have gone his own way, I know, but he should have been part of the fight against his mother’s killers, or did he only care about the guy who “personally” did it? I understand this way he’s now on Asgard’s throne, but where is Odin (Anthony Hopkins)? 
Well, that long absence of Loki from the scene was what I didn’t like about it. I know, I know, the movie is called ‘Thor’, not ‘Loki’, and yet he’s such a great character, and I love how Hiddleston plays it, and he should have been there more. 
In a few words the story is: while looking for Thor, Jane finds an ancient power source who enters in her. The Dark Elves come back to take it and use it to send all the worlds into darkness, or something like that. To cure Jane Thor brings her to Asgard. A dark Elf infiltrates his world to find this ‘Aether’ but Thor’s mom Frigga (Rene Russo) protects Jane and is killed. Loki (Tom Hiddleston) is imprisoned, in Asgard, and Thor (Chris Hemsworth) needs him to travel through the worlds because apparently he’s the only one who can do it… by doing so he and his friends disobey Odin’s orders. It’s not clear to me here Heimdall’s role. He doesn’t teleport anyone, so… ?
Loki and Thor together try to defeat the Dark Elves by destroying the Aether in their dark world, but fail. Loki saves Thor and then dies (yeah, right, tsk). Thor keeps fighting. The dark elves come to Earth, and here he tries to fulfill his goal using the convergence of all the nine worlds. Thor and Jane (Natalie Portman), with a bit of help from Eric ( Stellan Skarsgård), save the day. Thor then goes to Asgard to tell his father he doesn’t want to be king, and leaves to reunite with Jane. After he’s gone, we see that he actually talked to Loki. He’s sitting on the throne and his ‘Odin’ appearance was just an illusion. He says ‘thanks to you’ presumably because now the throne is all his; whatever he did with Odin is not yet revealed. 
I did not recognize Christopher Eccleston under Malekith’s makeup. Jaimie Alexander as Lady Sif was good. Fandral changed actor (Zachary Levi). Darcy (Kat Dennings) was the comic part of the movie ( I don’t consider seeing Eric without his pants on as a comic scene). As always Stan Lee was present, he asked Eric his shoe back, I think he was one of the patients in a mental institution, it did look like it.
During the credits we see Lady Sif (with someone) taking the Aether to the collector, calling it an infinity gem, or something like that. This scene refers to the ‘Guardians of the galaxy’ movie where they all fight for it. The scenes when: first Thor tells Loki “if you betray me I’ll kill you”, then Sif and Volstaff third tell him the same thing made me think of the three musketeers, when each of the three of them challenges D’Artagnan to a fight :-)
Again I’m fascinated by how perfect the main roles are here. Hemsworth is a perfect Thor and Hiddleston is the only possible Loki, and every line he says is an emotion. I must confess that he’s the main attraction in these Thor movies, they would lose at least a 50% without him, probably more. 
Loki’s death scene was lovely, touching, difficult probably, and his “I didn’t do it for him” got me emotional, reached to my soul. What a voice he has *sigh*. “Satisfaction is not in my nature” is a great line for Loki too, because it really describes him. I can’t imagine him really enjoying being the King, if not for the fact that he’s getting it by tricking everyone. I also liked his “trust my rage” and that’s why I was so disappointed in him missing the whole battle. He had a little part on the dark world and that’s it. The monster was destroyed, yes, but was it enough for him, really? Come on! 
He should have been a part of it personally. He didn’t have to reveal he was alive, if that was the problem. Illusion is his thing, he could have disguised himself, but he should have been a part of it, to be sure that his mother’s murderers were destroyed. 
“Give or take five thousand years” was another line I liked. Sigh, I already miss Loki, there should be more of him!

A few scenes had a certain Lotr ring to them :-p :-)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento