giovedì 15 maggio 2014

Snuff - Discworld book n. 39

This new Discworld book is all about Vimes, so it depends on how much you like him... Well, I do, yeah, of course, but not as much as many others. I saw the Patrician, which is always a good thing, but he doesn't even seems himself anymore. He's so amiable and chatty, so uncharacteristic of him. Not tyrant-like at all. In the very first page he's reading about goblins, so it's no surprise to anyone when goblins turn out to be at the very core of the book. Sam Vimes, at this point in time (book n.39 remember..) is a very important man, with lots of titles, but still thinking about himself as just a copper. Sybil and Sam leave the city to go to their country house on holiday. Soon he finds out that a goblin has been horribly murdered, and that's just the tip of the amount of things he's about to find out.
With some help from his loyal butler, he'll ignore for a while what is legal or illegal, and he'll sort out what is right and what is wrong.
And Sam Vimes never stops a chase until he gets his men.
It was so horrible, usually Pratchett makes me laugh and smile sweetly and happily (so hard these days, not many things can do that), but when he wants to he can make me cry or make my heart ache. This time, the story of the horrible things they did, of all that suffering really touched me deeply, it was... very painful.
Then in the middle of all that comes out six years old Sam Vimes junior, giving a lesson to all the stupid humans in the world, being it Disc or Round.
It always astounds me how he manages to write so well, every word is perfect; he can bring you with him wherever he wants.
Talking about me, I'm totally defenseless.
Reading his books is a test on how much I can control my emotions, expecially if I read in public. Sometimes I fail and laugh out loud to the astonishment of other people who think I'm mad, sometimes I found myself on the very edge of an ocean of tears, that I must fight them back or people will really look at me in a funny way. I wouldn't believe it possible, if I didn't know for sure that it's not a one time thing. His writings is always special.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento