sabato 6 dicembre 2014

Frozen

Yes, now I get it. Everyone was talking about Frozen, and Anna here, and Elsa there, and I was like: what? But now I get it, I totally do. I know why so many girls talked about this. Honestly, I don't know if boys can see in it what girls can. I watch Anna waking up in the morning and I see myself, I hear my mom asking me "did you just wake up?" and me replying "no, of course not, I've been up for a long time n..zzzzzz"; I watch Elsa and I remember the difficult times growing up.
I watch Anna and her enthusiasm and she reminds me of myself when I was little and still believed that the world was magical and fair; Anna saying to Hans "you're not awkward, I'm awkward, you're gorgeous, wait what?", so cute and funny, innocent in her own way, she speaks to us girls.
I watch Elsa during the "for the first time in forever" song and she breaks my heart, because of her sadness and loneliness, and isolation, and reminds me of all those moments of solitude; then I watch her during the "Let it go" song and I see what I think every girl understands, and feels inside, and can relate to. I know it was like that for me. When she sings "couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I tried" : have you ever in your life felt that you wanted to hide a certain feeling, and find that it was really difficult to do so? And "don't let them in, don't let them see, be the good girl you always have to be" not just hiding your feelings, but trying to show something different? Like trying to appear fine when you're hurt, or to appear happy when you're sad... it eats you inside. "well now they know" what a relief it is! Isn't it?  "let it go can't hold it back any more, I don't care what they're going to say, let the storm rage on" oh it feels so good, even watching her slowly changing her expression, relieved, free for once, and also changing the way she moves, more confident finally, and also changing the way she walks, letting the storm inside her giving her energy, letting it flow inside her... so good. I can relate to that. Who couldn't? And "it's funny how some distance makes everything seem small" who hasn't felt this at least once, but probably even more than once? Something that made you feel hurt or embarassed, but when you finally can distance yourself from it, suddenly you can look at it in a different way, and it doesn't feel so heavy any more "and the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all" free, finally free from the burden on my soul! Come on, this is so beautiful is almost made the whole movie. Right here, in this song!
There are funny moments too, of course, like Elsa saying that you can't marry a guy you just met, and there's a sense of esultation, like Finally! A Disney film where she doesn't marry the first prince she meets! But most of all how beautiful is it that the act of true love is real, for once. How could it be True love between two people that just met each other? No, the only true love that was in this movie was the love that Anna felt for Elsa, and maybe even more the love that Elsa had for Anna. That was true for sure. Between Anna and Kristoff there will be love, but with time, spending time together, and learning about each other, and liking what they learn. It was beautiful when Anna chose to defend Elsa knowing that it would cost her life, because she thought she needed a kiss to be saved. So beautiful when Elsa finally realised that she could control her power not by suppressing her emotions but by letting love guide them. Trying to suppress her power, she had always felt afraid and lonely and without hope. Now she realises the right path is different, and she can finally be with her sister the way she always wanted. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

"Let it go" lyrics:
the snow glows white on the mountain tonight - not a footprint to be seen 
a kingdom of isolation - and it looks like I'm the queen
the wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
couldn't keep it in - heaven knows I tried
don't let them in don't let them see - be the good girl you always have to be 
conceal don't feel, don't let them know - well now they know...
let it go let it go can't hold it back any more 
let it go let it go turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say - let the storm rage on - the cold never bothered me anyway.
It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
and the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
it's time to see what i can do - to test the limits and break through
no right no wrong no rules for me - I'm free
let it go let it go I am one with the wind and sky
let it go let it go you'll never see me cry
here I stand and here I'll stay - let the storm rage on
my power flurries through the air into the ground
my soul is spiralling in frozen fractals all around
and one thought crystallises like an icy blast
 I'm never going back - the past is in the past
let it go let it go and I'll rise like the break of dawn
let it go let it go that perfect girl is gone
here I stand in the light of day - let the storm rage on! - the cold never bothered me anyway

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento