domenica 5 aprile 2015

The seven dials mystery by Agatha Christie

This is of course written very very well, but the story is very different. It's a spy story, involving young men and women playing spies and detectives. The big switch of this book is that the seven dials club that Bundle thought was made of murderers is in fact a club of volunteers as spies, led by Detective Battle, to try and discover what professionals had not been able to do. Which actually seemed a bit silly, in a way. I don't think Battle should have approved this. Anyway, it all starts when a young man dies, but at first it is believed to be accidental. Then another young man is clearly murdered, and the young lady of Chimneys, nickname Bundle, investigates. She's nice enough, and intelligent, but I didn't like how she treated poor guy Alfred, in clear aristocratic manner, ordering him around as an inferior. Which is probably how things worked back then, at least. I don't know how they are now, still, when I hear or read that people sort of regret past times when roles where more clear and all that kind of stuff, I think they all see themselves as the one having servants, not as being the servants .
What I liked was the presence of detective Battle, an intelligent one and a good man, and the fact that it was him to reveal the truth to Bundle at the end, because she was totally on the wrong track :-)
It waws well written and captivating, but I prefer usual crime stories to spy ones.
Ita: I sette quadranti

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento