lunedì 20 luglio 2015

The X-files-I want to believe - 2008

I don't know if I like it, honestly; if forced I'd lean towards a no, because it was way too dark and painful, and yet it wasn't a bad movie altogether. Directed by Chris Carter, who created the X-files, it starts with Scully no more Fbi, now working as a doctor in a special hospital on a patient with a very rare brain disease. Approached by the Fbi who needs Mulder's help, she convinces him to come back. He was in isolation, but she tells him that the Fbi needs him, there's an agent missing, that they say all is forgiven, he'll be no more wanted by the Fbi.. They are aided in their search by Joseph Fitzpatrick Crissman, a catholic priest who was convicted as a pedophile after molesting 37 altar boys.. 37?? Come on, really? And  he's all big talks about those urges not being his choice? And still he let himself do it 37 times? (or more, 37 are the people, maybe the number of times is higher..) I'm sorry but no, I could never forgive that, no matter how he ends.
He asks Mulder if he believes in that sort of thing and Mulder replies "let's just say I wanna believe". They test him, taking him to a house, but he says this is wrong, you've brought me to the wrong house, and people question how he knew that, even Mulder... well, I'd say it didn't look all that difficult since that house had nothing around it, but the house near it had the do-not-cross yellow tape right in the front of it..
He leads them to body parts buried under snow and ice. Until the end nobody is sure that he's the real thing, Scully certainly isn't, and yet part of her wanted to believe it too, apparently, because after he said "don't give up" to her she made the decision to try a new procedure on her patient, a long and difficult brain surgery that is his only chance, because she believed that God was telling her to.
This patient Christian is important, she's attached to him, and she tells Mulder about him while they are in bed together but she can't sleep. Christian is just a kid, and Mulder tells her that "our son William left an emptiness that cannot be filled" and I was like, Oh gosh why? I don't remember this, when did it happen? What happened to William?
They don't work together on the case because she has his patient and her work to focus on, and she tells him that he's always trying to save Samantha, but she's dead. For years he has been trying to save her, but he can't, not ever, she's dead. Again I was like Really? for sure? I don't remember this, I thought we saw her alive... my gosh, I should rewatch the whole series, I don't remember anything..
Scully tells him that they're not Fbi anymore, that they have a home and she doesn't want that darkness in her home, but he says "this is who I am" he won't give up, ever, and she tells him "you think I don't understand but I do. This stubborness of yours, it's why I fell in love with you" - "and it's why we can't be together"
So she keeps treating poor Christian, while he goes alone on the hunt.
He's found out, sent off road in the snow by the bad guy in a  big truck, a snowplough. Mulder follows him on foot and arrives there in time to be knocked out and almost chopped to pieces, but Scully had found a trace for him and not been able to reach him on the phone had been so worried she had reached for help... and yes, after 1 hour and 24 minutes there he is, my Skinner!! She called him for help, and he gave it to her, he went there with her personally! What a dear, what would they have done all these years without him???
She saves Mulder while Skinner stops the horrible things those Frankenstein doctors were doing inside, then he went to give Mulder his jacket because he was freezing, and then Skinner holds Mulder's head in his arms to warm him... awww I love Skinner so much, always have and always will :-)
The movie ends with Mulder and Scully talking, him telling her that if she wants to give up they will go away right now, but the darkness might try to follow them: "let it try", before Scully going back to the hospital, not giving up, to do another surgery on Christian, the end. It is not known what will happen to the boy, we can but hope, right?
So, at what point are they, exactly? Do they live together, or maybe they meet only now and then?

Credits:
special agent in charge Dakota Whitney, the poor girl killed by the bad guy: Amanda Peet
Father Joe: Billy Connolly

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento