domenica 31 gennaio 2016

Finding Vivian Maier - Documentary 2013

I had never before heard of her; this documentary was interesting. A mysterious woman who nobody really knew took thousands and thousands of pictures without showing them to anybody. She worked as a nanny or as a cleaning lady, living in the house of the people she worked for, and yet so jealous of her privacy that her room had big locks and people didn't even know where she was from. It seems like she worked as a nanny because that way she could take the children out every day and spend her time in the open where she could take her pictures. They were really beautiful pictures, they had something about them, I really really liked them. Honestly, I didn't particularly like the portrait of this woman who didn't seem to me to love the children in her care or the people she worked with. She was a strange woman with problems, who distrusted men and hated to be touched. I wonder what happened of her father, it's strange how little all these people knew about her, and it's also strange that she had no relations with her relatives. I mean, it's not unheard of, but still, none at all, with nobody?
I seem to remember that this John Maloof or something , doing the documentary found a cousin of Vivian  in a French village, but the man was strange too, he only listened with a sort of uninvolved expression, but said nothing about her.
Anyway, it's a remarkable story, all those pictures in black and white and then in colors, so many, seem to document our world in those years better than many videos. To say the truth, I'm neither an expert on photography or a passionate fan, but when I saw a few of her pictures they got to me, they seemed so real, so alive, so incredibly alive. Simple pictures, mind you. People she saw around her, men and women, black and white, young and old, going on with their lives or their business, and yet those pictures had a soul.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento