mercoledì 6 gennaio 2016

The borrowers - 1997

It was nice enough. Not the kind of movie I’d like to watch again and again, but a nice movie nonetheless. A movie for kids, sure, and as an adult there were a few scenes that were too silly for me, but in general I liked this story of these little people, it make me think of Terry Pratchett’s little people. It’s been a long time since I’ve read those books, I must dig them up :-)
The story is: there are little people that live under our houses or under the city. They call themselves Borrowers because they don’t steal, they ‘borrow’ from the big people the things they need. A bored teenage girl goes exploring alone and is found out by the house young boy. He tells her the house is about to be demolished, so they agree to go with him to the new house. Because of a minor accident the girl and her little brother fall out of the van; the boy tries to make his parents stop with many excuses, but they won’t. I didn’t like this at all. Had I told my parents I was sick, or simply that I wanted to go to the bathroom, they would have stopped, if possible, and here it was very possible, they were just about to leave the house-yard. Anyway, not it begins the odissey to reunite the family with an added twist. Potter (John Goodman) enters the house, finds the hidden will and plan to destroy it, but the girl takes the will before he can burn it. With that will the boy and his parents can save their house, because it has been left to them. Potter sees them and tries to kill them many times, but they are helped by more Borrowers living in the city. With their help they stop him. The boy comes with a policeman (Hugh Laurie) to take the will and have him arrested. The police now think Potter’s completely nuts because of his story of thousands and thousands of little Borrowers living in little houses… :-)



In Italy: I rubacchiotti  (sic)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento