lunedì 27 giugno 2016

An ideal husband by Oscar Wilde

I really love Wilde's writing :-)
Sir Robert Chiltern has a good position in society and in politics, and he is the ideal man and husband at his wife Gertrude's eyes. Mrs Cheveley (Laura) brings trouble into it. She has proof (a letter) that he once sold a state private information for money, on which he built his wealth and career. She blackmails him into voting against his judgement to favor her interests. He would accept to save his reputation, but his wife has him refuse, so Mrs Cheveley tells her everything. Gertrude's shocked and Robert thinks he has lost her love. They both ask for Lord Goring's help, their dearest friend. He manages to get that letter from Mrs Cheveley because he has proof that she's a thief ( he once gave a diamond brooch to his cousin Lady Berkshire, brooch that is now in her possession). Goring then proposes to Robert's sister Mabel who accepts him in this way:
- Mabel I have told you that I love you. Can't you love me a little in return?
-You silly Arthur! If you knew anything about.. anything, which you don't, you would know that I adore you. Every one in London knows it except you. It is a public scandal the way I adore you. I have been going about for the last six months telling the whole of society that I adore you.
:-D
At first Robert doesn't consent to the marriage because he say Mrs Cheveley in Goring's house the night before, but after Gertrude's explanation all is settled and everyone's happy. :-)

The lines I'd like to remember:

Mabel Chiltern - Oh I love London Society! I think it has immensely improved. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what society should be.

Mrs Cheveley - Ah! The strength of women comes from the fact that psychology cannot explain us. Men can be analyzed, women...merely adored.

Questions are never indiscreet. Answers sometimes are (so it was Wilde who said it, not Lee Van Cleef!! :-p  )

You know what a woman's curiosity is. Almost as great as a man's.

Lord Goring -  I love talking about nothing, father. It is the only thing I know anything about.

If we men married the women we deserved, we should have a very bad time of it.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento