martedì 16 giugno 2015

Poirot series 9: Death on the Nile

I remember when I first read the book, I loved it so much I actually never forgot it, never forgot who did it and why, which is quite extraordinary for me and my bad memory. I remember I loved their love story, so passionate, and most of all the character of Jacqueline, and the way she attracted Poirot’s attention, and talked with him, and how he was concerned, and maybe that is the reason why this is one of the series’ episodes I like less, because they couldn’t catch it right, there wasn’t what I loved so much. 
Jacqueline de Bellefort did not win my heart, her beloved Simon Doyle was quite plain, although I must admit he was a bit plain in the book too, I think. Sure, rich Lynette was pretty much how she had to be, beautiful but not very nice, and Emily Blunt played her well. Also, here too there are little things that differ from the book, and I can’t explain to myself why they would do it. 
One for all, when Rosalie kisses Tim he says something to make her understand she’s got it wrong with him. It could be that he’s gay, sure, but then what is that strange attitude of his mother, and the way she calls him back into their cabin.. if they had not said it clearly, that she was his mother, I would have thought there was a sex relationship between the two. 
I loved Poirot as usual, that I did, because I really like how David Suchet plays it. 
I also liked a lot the american girl Cornelia, played by Daisy Donovan. 
Even though David Soul’s name was in the opening credit, with that beard I did not recognize him as Mr Pennington, and knew it only when I saw the ending titles. 
It was a good film, well done and who kept enough of Christie’s spirit, right to the ending and Poirot’s admission that yes, she knew about the second gun and maybe he could have prevented it, but he didn’t because after all it’s better this way. Jacqueline and Simon would have been killed, executed, so why stop them from killing themselves while they are together?
There were a few lines that caught my attention:
Point: has life been unfair to you mademoiselle?
Rosalie: you’ve met my mother!
lol
and
Point: love is not everything
Jacqueline: oh but it is. It is. You must know that monsieur Poirot. Surely you understand.

Point: it is terrible, mademoiselle, all that i have missed in life.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento