sabato 13 giugno 2015

The X files - 1998

They've made a film, and here it is, a long long episode of the x-files. Here they deal with a strange, probably extraterrestrial virus, very very dangerous, that they say they've never seen before, but we have, right? I seem to remember that Krychek or however his name was spelled, had this virus in him, once, when he was contained somewhere and his eyes had turned black because this sort of black slime had gotten into him... something like that.
Anyway, let's move on. The FBI is searching a building for a bomb, and I'm pretty sure I know that agent on the roof but can't quite point out where I saw him.. some series, for sure...
For some reason Mulder doesn't help the other agents, instead he breaks protocol and involves Scully in searching a completely different building despite the fact that she doesn't agree with him and protests as usual. Now, it's not clear to me why he wants to check this exact building here: we're in Dallas, and when finally Mulder finds the bomb (accidentally) and they call the rest of the Fbi agents, they don't arrive on foot. They drive here. Which means that Mulder is not a few feet away. The two building may very well be one opposite the other, but not so close after all. Why did he check this one in particular? Are these two the only buildings in Dallas??
Anyway, the man in charge Michaud arrives. Mulder:"can you defuse it?" Michaud:"yes, I can" but when everybody else is outside he doesn't even try, he just sits there waiting for it to explode.
At the hearing to clear what the two of them were doing there, they say that five people died in the explosion: Michaud plus three firemen and a boy, but I know from the beginning of the film that a boy fell into a cave and was taken by that slime/virus and three firemen gone down there to get him never came back on their own.
The Fbi needs someone to blame for the explosion, and Scully's on the line of fire. Skinner (yeayyyyy Skinner! I loved Skinner so much, he had so little screen time! They should have made him more involved! Always!) talks to Mulder and as usually he goes all 'she doesn't deserve this, it's my fault, I broke protocol, she didn't want to' and blah blah blah. He's always been like this, he breaks every protocol, drags her into it and then she gets in trouble. When she comes out, she says that if they decides to transfer her she might quit, because her heart isn't in it as it once was..
Mulder meets Dr Alvin Kurzweil who tells him that it was all some kind of cover up, that those 4 bodies were already dead, and that in Dallas they blew up that building to cover up their deaths that had a very different cause. The 22-years-veteran was a patriot and let it go off voluntarily.
Now, two things. As usual, Mulder never gets anywhere without the deep-throat of the moment, he always needs someone to tip him in the right direction, and one other thing: is he really saying that it was all planned, to blow up a building to cover up the deaths of 4 people whose bodies, by the way, have not been blown up at all, not before not now, because they are still there waiting for Mulder and Scully to sneak in and take a look? They planned to blow up a building full of people ? And Michaud the patriot was in on it? They informed him? Why? Because he had to know, otherwise he would have tried to defuse it. This means that he was willing to kill all the people in the building? They're not dead because Scully evacuated it, but the Fbi had been searching another building, so nobody would have gone out of this one. Honestly, they didn't think it through, it makes no sense at all, since the body are still intact. What kind of cover-up is that? They should have simply said that they died from something else! I mean, they've already hidden the bodies and falsified the reports, what use could all those deaths have??
Scully examines a body and says it was an infection unknown to her, but very very fast.
All the big men reunite in a meeting, worried because the virus has mutated: they've been used for this project of repopulation, but want to go along to buy time to find the vaccine they've been working on this whole time.
At Scully's next hearing, they don't care about new evidence; they want to stop Mulder by taking away what's most important to him. Scully gets transferred to Salt Lake City, Utah, effective immediately, so she gives Skinner a letter of resignation.
Mulder: you can't quit now, Scully.
Scully: I can, Mulder. I debated whether or not to tell you in person.
M: we are close to something here, we're on the verge
S: you're on the verge, Mulder. Please don't do this to me
M: after what you saw last night, after all you've seen, you just walk away?
S:I have. I did. It's done
M:I need you on this one
S:you don't need me Mulder, you never have, I just held you back. I gotta go.
he goes after her because if you care that's what you do.
M:if you wanna tell yourself that so you can quit with a clear conscience you can, but you're wrong
S:why did they assigned me to you in the first place, Mulder? To debunk your work, to rain you in, to shut you down
M:but you saved me! As difficult and frustrating as it's been sometimes, your god-damned strict rationalism and science have saved me a thousand times over. You kept me honest. You made me a whole person. I owe you everything. Scully, you owe me nothing. I don't know if I wanna do this alone. I don't even know if I can. And if I quit now, they win.
I've always liked Gillian Anderson a lot, but I have to admit, I'm not too fond of David Duchovny as an actor, I don't like how he talks that's the problem, nothing else really, but his voice is not convincing to me. I mean, this speech should have made me go awww but I was nothing like that, more like Are you sure? You wanna check the script again? You sound like you're finding it difficult to remember it all, or something like that. Anyway, back to Scully.
it takes her about ten seconds but finally she goes in for a big hug.
They're about to kiss when she's stung by one of the bees they discovered earlier. Mulder has a face as if saying What excuse now? but immediately she's infected and he calls an ambulance, but his call has been intercepted somehow and when the ambulance takes her away, instead of telling Murder what hospital are they taking her to, the driver shoots him.
Waking up at a hospital, his three friends and Skinner help him get out unnoticed. He goes looking for Kurzweil but instead he finds the English man. He gives Mulder the cure for Scully and her location, and tells him about the virus. It is extraterrestrial but they know very little about it, "except that it was the original inhabitant of this planet. A virus is a colonizing force that cannot be defeated. Until Dallas we believed the virus would simply control us, the mass infection would make us a slave race. Imagine our surprise when they began to gestate. My group has been working cooperatively with the alien colonists, facilitating programs like the one you saw to give us access to the virus in the hope that we might be able secretly to develop a cure" , he tells him that his father gave up Samantha to make her a hybrid human-alien so she would survive, he tells him that now that he's told him everything he'll be killed, and lets him go, then he's killed. Well, he entered the car and the car exploded, so...
Mulder goes to Antarctica to find her, injects her with the cure and they both escape, but she's weak and doesn't see the spaceship above them.
At the end it is all covered up again. Scully told everything at her last hearing , but with no effect.
M:they'll never believe you, not unless your story can be programmed, categorized or easily referenced
S:then we'll go over their heads
M:no, no. How many times have we been here before Scully? Right here, so close to the truth, and now with what we've seen and what we know, to be right back at the beginning with nothing
S:this is different, Mulder
M:no, it isn't. You were right to wanna quit. You're right to want to leave me, you should get as far away from me as you can. I'm not gonna watch you die Scully because of some hollow or personal cause of mine. Go be a doctor. Go be  a doctor while you still can
S:I can't. I won't. Mulder, I'll be a doctor but my work is here with you now. That virus that I was exposed to, whatever it is, it has a cure, you held it in your hand. How many other lives can we save? Look, if I quit now, they win
they look at each other, then go away hand in hand.
We learn from a message the smoking-man received that the x-files have been reopened. Why is not known, on whose order is not known. It seems to me a bit strange that they would reopen it now, I don't see the logic here, and probably the authors couldn't see it either since they didn't give any.
End, now with the credits.
Agent Fox Mulder - David Duchovny
Agent Dana Scully - Gillian Anderson
just agent, now? no special?
The cigarette-smoking man - William B. Davis
Kurtzweil - Martin Landau
Assistant Director Walter Skinner - Mitch Pileggi (yeayyy)
The Lone Gunmen:
 - Langly - Dean Haglund
 - Byers - Bruce Harwood
 - Frohike - Tom Braidwood
FBI agent on roof - T.W. King
that's who he was! He was in love with Prue in Charmed! That's it!
Michaud - Terry O'Quinn

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento