sabato 15 ottobre 2016

An affair to remember - 1957

Honestly it didn't have me sigh with romantic emotions. It was ok, but I'm in no hurry to watch it again. Ok is not what I expected from a movie like this, I thought it would have been more emotional and romantic, but for some reason I didn't feel very involved in the story.
It starts with news all over the world (even Italy, for a second I was like: I thought I had switched to English audio, and indeed I had :-p) reporting that Nicky (Cary Grant) is going to marry rich Lois, and is sailing from Europe to America to go to her. Not sure what is he famous for, just for being charming I guess, or why people wants his autograph, but probably just because he's been in the papers and he's famous..
On the boat he meets Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) and they spent some time together, and he takes her to meet his grandmother, and they all have a lovely time. Terry learns that Nicky was once a talented painter, but gave it up because he didn't like criticisms.
They pointlessly try to avoid each other on the ship so to avoid gossip, quite  a boring charade, but apparently those days were enough for the two of them to realize they are so madly in love they are open to change drastically their lives in order to stay together. Neither of them is rich, though, and Nicky has never done a day's work in his life, so they set a plan for themselves. He will work hard and long enough, and in six months they'll meet again and get married.
He has to break up with his girlfriend Lois, and she has to break up with her boyfriend Ken, ( I liked him very much, a sweet guy, more than Nicky). He starts painting again, and working, and she sings in clubs. Normal jobs no, the both of them, they call that hard work??
Anyway, after six months she's in a hurry to meet her Nicky on top of the Empire State building, and knowing he was up there she was looking up and not around her, so she had an accident and couldn't make it. Nicky was there and waited for hours.
She can't walk, and refuses to let him know until she knows for sure if she'll be able to walk again or not. A priest finds her a job: she teaches children how to sing, something like a church choir or so. Personally I didn't like so much time on the songs. It seemed nothing more than a time-filler.
The date was in July and it's now Christmas. Lois calls Nicky and Ken takes Terry out. The same night in the same theatre, they meet again. Ken was very sweet, he wanted to tell Nicky everything but she wouldn't have it.
Another full song sang by the children, then finally the conclusion. Nicky goes to her house. Their conversation was nice, when he pretended he didn't go, but only for a second, because he was giving her the answers: he waited from 5pm until midnight, but when he asks her why she didn't go, she simply replies that she couldn't make it. Then there was a bit I didn't immediately understood, but it should be that one of his paintings had been given to a woman in a wheelchair as a gift, and now he finds that painting in her house, so he understands she is in a wheelchair.
Now that he knows, they hug and she cries, and she says :"if you can paint, I can walk, everything's possible" and it ends like that.
I don't like the ending, I don't like the last line, it doesn't make sense, he could already paint before.
It was a bit disappointing to say the truth, I expected more emotions, there were barely any, for me.


 ITA un amore splendido

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento