domenica 16 ottobre 2016

Love affair - 1939

Almost identical to the 1957 film with Cary Grant, but maybe if I had to choose I'd choose this one.
It starts with the news all over the world (USA and England are basically identical, but there is France instead of Italy) that Michel Marnet (Charles Boyer) is going to America to marry rich Lois. Basically this Michel is a famous playboy, and everyone wants his autograph or a picture with him. Men :-/
Here he does stop to do the autographs, but then he's rude in what he writes. He meets Terry McKay (Irene Dunne) and everything between them is the same, almost word for word; him hitting on her, and her saying "don't tell me you're embarassed", then they have dinner together, they talk about themselves "that's the only page" says Terry here too. The photographer taking a picture and them throwing it away, the "child rescued" and the pink champagne cocktail and everybody on the ship looking at them, but in this film they didn't go on as much on how hard they tried to hide from gossip. Good, it was kinda boring. There's the visit to his grandmother in Madeira, her collie dog, the beautiful, peaceful place that is her home, and the chapel where she prays. Grandma telling her "there is nothing wrong with Michel that a nice woman couldn't make it right" :-p  I don't remember this bit in the other movie.
There is the piano, and grandma playing and Terry singing, but Michel doesn't bring any gift this time. When they go away, Terry comes back and runs to hug her and kiss her, here too.
When they finally talk about their feelings, he confesses he has never worked in his life, not once.. "it would take me at least six months.." - "what are you trying to say Michel?" - "I'm trying to say that it would take me six months to find out if I'm worthy to say what's in my heart" awww this was nice.
July the 1st, at 5 o'clock, on top of the Empire State Building: "it's the tallest building in the world, you can't miss that".
She starts singing in clubs, he starts painting, then when the moment comes she's run over by a car. He waits a long time, there's the same thunderstorm, it all goes as we know. They even have the same seats in the theatre on Christmas Eve, but when we see her at home, I think I could easily see her legs move :-/
He goes to her, they talk but she won't explain why she didn't go, until he finds in her house the painting that his agent gave a woman on a wheelchair as a gift, so he understands about her condition, and they hug, and she cries, and she says "if you can paint, I can walk, anything can happen" which I didn't like there and I don't like here; what's the meaning of it? He already knew how to paint, it's just that now he's taking it seriously!
Anyway, I don't like the ending, but between the two I prefer this one. The scenes on the ship were nicer and less boring because they didn't go on and on about hiding, and the scene when they decide their future and set their date was nicer here, I liked it more.

ITA un grande amore

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento