martedì 15 aprile 2014

Cloud Atlas -

It's very very complicated. The story is already enough complicated because it's bits of 5 stories (yes, FIVE different stories) and the film keeps going from one story to the other, a piece of this a piece of that.
Also, I'm not good with faces (or names, for that matter, but let's not talk about that) and for quite a while I kept saying who's that? Who is he supposed to be? Is the one on the boat similar to the musician guy? Because there are the same actors in all the stories. It was easy for me to see all the characters played by Tom Hanks and Halle Berry (protagonists) but of course also those played by Hugo Weaving, such a characteristic face, you can't not recognise him.
Anyway, it kept me watching it, it wasn't boring or anything, just difficult to follow the first time round. I had to watch it twice, then I saw a lot more things. Like that the editor was reading a manuscript from a certain Javier Gomes that we'll get to meet when he was still a child. Also it was only at the end that I understood the importance of the story of the musician. For a long time (it's a long movie) I thought Why is he important? Why are we following his story too? Of course, his boyfriend was important, very important in another story too, but I couldn't see why that Robert fellow was so important we were also following all his story and listening to all the letters he was sending to Sixsmith. But I got it in the end, and it was beautiful. All the stories are connected, and it's not merely their actions that are important, but also their feelings. Mostly their feelings! At the beginning you kind of think that the most important story is the one from 1973, where a journalist tries to uncover a truth that will lead to a mass-murder if not stopped, but it's not , it's just a piece.
I liked it, in the end. I was waiting, while watching it, thinking it was keeping me glued to the screen in waiting for the end, and I thought this might turn out very good, or the biggest disappointment in a long time (filmwise), it all depended on how all the stories were tied up in the end. And I liked it. Because of the love. Especially the love between Robert and Rufus Sixsmith (I just remembered his name .-) ).
Okay, I want to go into details, so I'm warning everyone reading it, if there'll be ever anyone reading this, that from now on I'm adding SPOILERS, so stop here if you don't want to know.
You've been warned. SPOILERS start here. Now.
That Robert died we knew it from the beginning, although I had a little hope for one moment. When he actually went to kill himself in his apartment, and Rufus was coming to see him, I said out loud, If he hears the shot while he's still on the stairs, so close and yet too late, I'm gonna be very angry. Then it happened exactly that, and I screamed at the screen with all my voice. But I understood. It was important to follow Robert's story because his letters are still in Rufus' hands, because he always thought that love was so powerful to outlive death. Because it was the same actor playing Rufus that in the end hears all Somni's story (or Sonmi, not sure, but I prefer Somni, it's easier :p). He's the one who believes her. When she dies so that her story can be heard, and everyone can be aware of her,  it's him who listen to all of it, her story, her motivations, her love. "Did you love him? yes I do. You mean you still love him (despite the fact that he's now dead)? I mean that I will always love him". Because yes, love outlives death. And when he asks if she believes anyone will believe her story, what if noone does, she replies that someone already believes. She doesn't say who because there are guards present, but it's obvious she's talking about him.
The characters of Tom Hanks were a puzzle to me for a while, because I was like, is he good or what? In one story he's risking his life to help her with her article, in another he throws a man off a building, in another he's a very unpleasant doctor - so much so that I wasn't surprised at all when it was  revealed that he wasn't curing his patient, he was poisoning him. I was there already. Because when he said "a tiger cannot change its stripes" he wanted Adam to think "it means he's a doctor and wants to cure me" while he should have thought that when they met that doctor was looking for teeth to sell, with a look that made me think he cared more about the money that of the people, if you know what I mean. Zachry.. was maybe a coward, but did that make him  a bad person? He let a man and a child die, but he couldn't have saved them. Being scared to hell of certain death makes you a bad person? No. He himself took risks afterwards to save the little girl. I didn't understand. Then it came to me. When he met her he was a better person. When she was distant, the evil side won. When she was with him, he was able to overcome fear, to take risks, to do the right thing. 1849, she's a slave, so they don't meet: he is a murderer. In 1936 he blackmailed Robert. In 1973 he meets her and risks his life, dying, for her. In 2012 she's in the room but he doesn't see her, and he becomes a murderer. So what about Zachry? He was alone when he acted like a coward. It was to save her that he acted like the prophecy adviced him, twice. Then he went against the prophecy in the village, when she was distant, and he killed that bastard who had killed his family. You could think "yeah do it" but think about it. Had the *#@* being alive, he would have gone out when being called by the others, and Zachry and the little girl wouldn't have been at risk, he wouldn't have been hurt.
  Only when she was with him, he was a better person.
The story of Cavendish is important because it brings him to the making of his film, which will then one day bring Yoona to show it to Somni and will start the whole thing. Which will be the same old story , in the future like in the past. People are all the same, people are people, doesn't matter where they are from, how they look, or how they were born. And the lives of all the people are all connected, every bad thing you do, every kindness you do, will mean something for your future and the future of others.
1849, Adam helps a slave, then the slave saves his life, so to induce him, with his wife to abandon home and the rich father-in-law and go away to fight slavery. Same actors that in 2144 will play Somni and Chang, fighting and dying to spread their words of love, of peace. Same souls fighting the fight because touched by the suffering of other people, because they believed that every step was a step forward, no matter how small.
I also liked Keith David stories. He was a slave in 1849, and in 1973 he was an ex-soldier who helped Rey because her father had saved his life during the war. And in 2144 he's the leader of the rebellion group. And in that distant future that we don't know exactly how far, we only know it'll be centuries in the future (I'd say at least 2500, but maybe much much more), he'll be among those who will get saved.
It made me think of Matrix the way Chang kept on fighting and risking everything because he believed she was gonna change the world. And it made me think of The Time Machine because these people artificially born are kept below, their life is to work and serve, and they'll get eaten at the end.
Wow, this is getting really long. I guess I wanted to say a lot of things.
Just one thing. The story that seemed less important is the one that is more in my heart now. Rufus Sixsmith, who held the dying body of his Robert in his arms, cried his heart out, but kept his love inside. After 37 years he still had his letters with him, still thought of him a lot, and still believed in love. Because he had kept him in his heart. And that was important because all of Somni's words, all of Chang's fighting, it would have been for nothing if there had not been someone there with the kind of heart that could accept it, to change its way of living, of thinking, of viewing the world.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento