domenica 8 maggio 2016

Merlin - the series in general

I've watched it on tv, here and there, and it was good, yes, but the ending is very bitter and abrupt, I don't think I'll ever buy it. Finally this century has seen an improvement in how series are made and considered, with more care and respect. They are not b-products now, but real cinema. This series is good too, it has good acting and it's well done. Five series of young sorcerer Merlin hiding his magic to serve and protect young Arthur, son of king of Camelot Uther Pendragon. I gladly saw Anthony Head in the role of the king, I really like him. Sure the king was often quite irritating, but he's a very good actor, and so lovely and sexy :-p
Magic is forbidden, so Merlin has to hide his powers to protect the person he believes (he knows) will be the king to bring peace on Camelot. What makes this series so interesting is all there: the great friendship between Merlin and Arthur - it is fantastic and lovely to watch. And yet it is often frustrating, because Arthur has no idea of how much Merlin is helping him, Merlin constantly has to hide what he does, lie every day. So ofter Arthur refers to Merlin as nothing more than a good friend, a sort of good-for-nothing. I mean, although Merlin has saved him so many times, to his eyes Merlin does very little, and that is why I longed for more, at the end.
Of course there are many differences between the series and the legend, but so what, this is not an historical documentary, it's a fantasy series!
The great love between the two men that although being king and servant are real true friends is what gives life to all. The acting is good, throughout the five series.
Now talking about the last episodes.
I liked Mordred and Kara's dramatic scenes, really really good and touching, but then in the end, when Merlin comes to help in the last big battle, and reveals to a badly injured Arthur that he is a sorcerer, what follows as good as it is still left me a sense of dissatisfaction; it was all good, watching Arthur looking at Merlin while he uses his magic, as he has done many times before, all those times that Arthur thought of his good luck instead it was Merlin.
Arthur finally understands everything Merlin has ever done for him, how many times he has helped him without gaining anything in return, but he's too badly injured to recover, so he says "thank you" and dies. As precious as that Thank You might be, it still feels like not enough. I don't know how to explain this: imagine a man is dying from thirst, you show him a well of fresh water, give him only half a glass and then close the well forever... he will still be thirsty, won't he?
I mean, it wasn't bad, but after five series I really wanted to see at least a few scenes with Arthur and Merlin really knowing each other, I'd have liked to see Merlin no more hiding his powers, at least not to Arthur, I mean one episode, not a whole series! Just one episode, then they could have ended with on-screen lines saying when Arthur would die and how long would Merlin wait for his return, that would have been good.
I know series endings are really difficult, and up until now only two or three have my total approval, but this is not one of them.
So no, I don't think I will buy the dvds this time.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento