martedì 23 dicembre 2014

Dark shadows - 2012

I must confess I don't know anything about the original Dark Shadows old tv series, so I'm not commenting on that. Just this movie. Which is pointless and boring, in my personal opinion. I don't know why, in theory I should like this movie. The "ingredients" are all good, but somehow I don't like it. At all. I mean Tim Burton:good Johnny Depp:good Michelle Pfeiffer:good Helena Bonham Carter:good Jonny Lee Miller:good Chloe Moretz:good and yet I didn't like it. JL Miller's character was low and plain boring, and I didn't like his look. HB Carter's character was plain too, neither of them seemed to have a real useful role in the whole thing. Michelle seems sort of different: is it the makeup or has she done something to her lips? God, I hope not, that'd be a crime.
Eva Green as Angelique was... well, not too bad but not very captivating altogether. Boring, she was. A lot in this movie was boring, there was nothing exciting.
The story is simple: rich Barnabas Collins has a sex story with Angelique, one of his servants, and she falls in love with him but he doesn't care for her at all, and tells her clearly. She's a witch, and can have her vengeance as she likes it. She decides to kill the girl that he loved and then to turn him into a vampire- he had tried to kill himself after losing his love but "Angelique had cursed me to be a vampire so that my suffering would never end". Not satisfied, of course, she turns the town against him, so they bury him. She goes on living forever young, making money while his family slowly goes towards the ruin. He accidentally gets dug up in 1972 and he goes back to his family. He wants to bring his family's business back on top, but Angelique won't let him win. She wants either his love or his destruction. They have sex once, and that scene is so ridiculous, not funny at all. Boring. Anyway, story repeats itself and Barnabas states again he doesn't love her, so they're enemies again. At the end, during the battle, Angelique confesses while she's winning that it was all her doing: she turned Carolyn into a werewolf, killed David's mother and Barnabas's parents, but than David's mother's ghost kills her. :-D Good! The house goes on fire but the family is safe. His beloved Victoria, so similar to the girl he was in love with years ago, forces him to make her a vampire: she throws herself off the same cliff that saw Josette's death, so he's forced to bite her in order to save her. We see that they both open their eyes, meaning they both survived because they're both vampires, and yet he says "my curse has finally been broken"... What??? Are they vampires or not? Because if they are, the curse is not broken, he only has brought another vampire into town, I mean who cares about the townspeople, we don't even know their names right? What's the problem if now there are two vampires that need feeding... but if they're not vampires then they shouldn't be alive... and we know they are.
I liked a few lines though, like at the beginning, Barnabas's speech: "of all the servants I could have spurned, all the hearts I could have broken, I got the one with the secret. I got the witch" nice speech, this will teach you to use a poor servant for lust when your intentions are nothing noble!
When  Carolyn says "Are you stoned or something?" and Barnabas replies "they tried stoning me, my dear. It did not work" :lol:
The scene when little Maggie was sent away by her parents because they thought she was crazy was so sad.
And there was Alice Cooper! The real Alice Cooper, singing at Barnabas's party.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento