I sort of liked it, but also no. All about the dance was entertaining and sensual and elegant, but the feelings were not there, I had to guess but did not feel whatever it was that I should be feeling, especially towards the end, I mean I got it, yes, but thinking about it after the end… while watching it I had no clue why he said he couldn’t be with him, or if they’d been together at all other than that one kiss, or what had happened to him that he felt that way… and the ending felt more like a public coming out that had no real reason to be there, that the admission of feelings that it was, the letting himself feel, the letting go, being more loose and open.
The conclusion is that I would not watch it again, but I’m left with how sexy Machida is :lol:
The ending is very very important in a film, and this one was disappointing. What does this ending even mean???
It’s a great movie if you care more about the dance, though.
I say here that I know nothing about the manga Google says it’s taken from, so no comparisons at all.
This movie is done well enough meaning it has good light, cool costumes, good acting, good pacing, but then all of a sudden: boom, a half finale that is neither here nor there, it felt like someone suddently looked at the clock and yelled ‘it’s late, we’ve got to close up’ and so they did, in such a hurry it feels like they skipped stuff in between to let us know what the hell is going on.
Sugiki and Fusako are ballroom dancers while Suzuki and Aki go for latino dances. Both couples are National Champions in Japan, but Sugiki is very annoyed that he’s never won globally; his technique is very good, sure, but even his British mentor tells him how love is important. He is so cold, manipulative, commading, inflexible and relentless in his practicing and striving to be the best, but he never lets himself go and love. His girlfriend left him because she wanted to win and she knew she wouldn’t with him and she was right, she’s won a lot with her new partner.
Now he wants to compete in the 10dance competition: 5 ballroom and 5 latino dances, so he asks Suzuki to help each other.
The two couples start meeting to teach each other their own styles. Sugiki can really get under Suzuki’s skin, Suzuki can’t stop thinking about him now. They get close and Sugiki speaks a bit about himself, about how he’s treated Fusako badly on some occasions because he wants to win, about how he’s not the waltz gentleman, more of a grim reapeer, and Suzuki only says ‘lame’, which is probably far far nicer than what Sugiki thinks of himself.
Something comes over him, he wants, so he runs after Suzuki and they kiss and it’s a good scene, mixed with passion and dancing.
They all go to Blackpool for the world competition: Sugiki is second once again, and then for whatever reason he does a dance with Liana… and they smile and they look so fond, to me it felt like ‘even if we move on there will always be a place for you in my heart for what we shared’, maybe I’m imagining things but that’s what those smiles told me, and it was lovely.
But then Sugiki leaves Suzuki… if they were even together, in the movie it feels like it’s been a day since they kissed… because he says he can’t be with him because it will destroy him, which I guess now it means that Suzuki breaks into that cold armor and makes him feel things he’s scared of, and then he says they’ll never really become one and this I don’t know if it’s because they can’t dance together or what… I don’t know.
Suzuki feels heartbroken but Aki finds him, tells him they can do so much more, that he can go as far as he wants.. and he hugs her like the beloved friend that she is, and they keep at it. Six months later they go to the Asian cup. Sugiki is there as guest, but when he should come with Fusako for the demonstration, he comes out alone and goes to ask Suzuki to dance with him. And they do dance together, the five ballroom dances with Sugiki leading and then the latino dances wheere he dances the woman steps, and they laugh and smile… (quite a long demonstration that was)
Then they dance together the Viennese waltz with all the other couples, and here I so loved to see that Aki is dancing with Fusako! They were watching them with a smile before but now they don’t stay out, they dance together.
While the others keep dancing, they stop, look at each other, they kiss… and then Sugiki says they’ll see each other at the 10dance competition and they walk away in different directions… does this mean that they’ll ‘only’ see each other at the competition or will they start seeing each other outside the competitions as well? Are they a couple or not?
I mean, I get it that he’smore loose now, is more accepting of ‘feelings’, but where do they stand exactly?
What does it mean that last sentence? I’m not too fond of this ending, I feel suspended in limbo.
Suzuki is Ryoma Takeuchi
Sugiki is Keita Machida - so handsome
No comments:
Post a Comment