lunedì 5 gennaio 2015

12 years a slave

2013. It seems incredible that this is based on the true story of this man, who wrote it to explain what he had been put through by the meanness and greed of people. It's a thing that always depresses me because it has no reason, only excuses for so many people to do what they really want to do: be mean.
Protagonist is Chiwetel Ejofor as Solomon Northup, the man who had a house and a family until he was abducted by deception, stripped of everything that was his, beaten, brought to the southern states and sold as a slave along with other people. The whole movie in on his shoulders, and he was great, really.
A man called Freeman (Paul Giamatti) sells him to Mister Ford (Benedict Cumberbatch) who was actually quite the good man, but the only one even in his own house. Everyone else included his family were just pathetic little shits. I also don't understand who was that man (well, I say man in want of a better word, but frankly I know the kind, so pathetic, so empty, so little, that they desperately want to be mean, to do harm, to use weapons of any sort because this makes them think they are something, that they are tough, or powerful, because they could never accept the truth of how patheticly little they are) who wanted to kill our Solomon, and Ford could not stop him so he thought the best thing to save his life was to give him to another man, who the hell was that guy Tibeats who could impose himself on Mister Ford? Maybe it's just that telling him not to do it would not be enough since he was so determined to kill him, and there was no threat possible, because it was not a crime I think...
Solomon goes to work for Edwin Epps (Michael Fassbender) who has a mugh bigger role than the others, I think probably the biggest one after Solomon. He's always angry but you know what? His wife (Sarah Paulson) was meaner, by a great deal, she was real evil, one of those horrible women who can't keep their men but instead of blaming them they blame the women, in this case the poor young Patsey who was tortured by her and raped by him, the poor soul. Epps on the other hand is one of those pathetic, weak men who find law and weapons on their side, and this is so common,  this world is really fucked up because that kind of people are so many, too many, and they make rules and laws for themselves and for the others like them, and this should make every decent soul left on the planet sick.
Epps is not strong, is not smart, is not loved by anyone, but he has power of life and death over other human beings and this makes him think he's strong and powerful, the shitty idiot.
Around thirty minutes before the end we finally see Brad Pitt in the very small role of a man saying what he thinks to Epps, of how all that is against justice and morality. A very, very small role. I understand why people were so angry to see the posters for the movie, with the big faces of Pitt and Fassbender and the little figure of Ejofor, but in Italy that's not racism, that's just business, the same way every time they show the trailer of Eragon they show the "entire role" of John Malkovich, since it is so small, to make you think that the famous actor has a role in it. They are always ready to shout names like Denzel Washington, Samuel L. Jackson, Will Smith, Jamie Foxx, and all the others famous black actors, but Ejofor is not that famous. He probably should be, if this movie is any indicator, but at the moment he isn't. He should have won the oscar, if you ask me. I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club so can't really judge on that, but honestly, they also nominated Bale for American Hustle? Seriously, that was a role worth the nomination? Oh well, anyway,
Ejofor deserved it, I believe, there wasn't any other role like this one: seriously, the whole movie is him all along, in such a difficult, powerful role.
I think Italy is not at all racist, although it may seem so to those who don't know italian people. Italians are so used, have been for decades, to see only their own village people that now find it hard sometimes to adjust to the new world where people travel so much. It's not a matter of colour here, it's just a matter of 1-time, to get used to it, and 2-not being born and raised in the village. When I started my actual job a man told me "you're not from around here" and truthfully he was right, I grew up in a village ten minutes away by car....so not here: true! Didn't matter that I was here every weekend for the shops and the friends, I never lived here..
It's just that, but after the first moment of surprise, they are adjusting quickly enough. Anyway, there are pathetic shits in Italy too, but as I said I think this kind of people always finds an excuse, doesn't really matter which one, not to them anyway. They simply need an excuse to be openly shits. What a nice world we live in, aren't you touched? I miss the days when I was young and thought the world was a wonderful place full of good kind people, who are always much much more than the bad people, and good always wins, and all that. Who can be surprised that as I hit adolescence, at 15, 16 years old, I fell into depression, realising how hard the world was, how different the reality from my fantasy, that I hadn't known before that it was a fantasy.. I miss the days when I liked people and humanity... now I notice when I find a polite person, or an intelligent person, or a "Good" person, these things stand out.
The movie was very long, and personally I could have done without Tibeats' annoying song 'run nigger run', but I guess it worked to set the atmosphere of the world he had been thrown in, poor man.
I was really touched by the ending, when Mr Parker comes looking for him. I mean, it wouldn't in a normal movie, but this is a true story, that means that really this Mr Parker, as soon as he came to know about Solomon misfortunes ran to his rescue! This is amazing, not something that happens every day, maybe they were very very good friends.
His family was as I expected it; of course his little daughter is now married and with a baby she called Solomon like her dad :-) sweet thing.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento