lunedì 5 gennaio 2015

The magnificent seven

1960. I like this film very much; I like Yul Brinner mostly, I love his character, my hero, I like the fact that he's called Chris, which you will admit it's not your usual name for this type of characters in this type of movies. I like the character of O'Reilly, I like the sort of friendship born between Chris and Vin (Steve McQueen) and I like the bad guy a lot, because this Calvera is yes, a real piece of shit and he rightfully dies at the end, obviously, but he's also fun to watch, played wonderfully by Eli Wallach. I like Robert Vaughn and his character Lee, now come  to the point where his nerves have finally broken and he feels scared, not as quick as he once was, and yet he'll overcome his fear and help. I like James Coburn and his tough character Britt, and I like the fact that it's not a celebration of guns as these films usually are, but both O'Reilly and Chris repeat how braver the villagers are in their own life, working all day for so little, but for a family, and how instead they are always alone, they always lose, going always away, with no home and no family. Britt's death scene, when he's hit and before falling he tries to throw a knife since he was famous for being exceptionally quick with it, but he can't, seems also to point out how it doesn't matter how tough you made yourself in life, death waits for no hero.
 What I don't like is the character of Chico, so annoying, like a stupid brat; Harry (Brad Dexter), joining only because despite what Chris keep telling him he's convinced there must be some hidden treasure to justify their actions; the three children let free to wander around in the heat of the battle causing O'Reilly (Charles Bronson) to die to protect them: they should have been kept locked inside with their mothers!! What where they doing, hiding themselves but not worrying to keep the children inside? What kind of mothers are they? I mean, usually they always run out, understandable, but this was quite the special occasion, wasn't it?? Or maybe Calvera put them in a separate house, for some reason... I don't know, I only know that O'Reilly was far too kind with them. He should have told them what their place was, and he wouldn't have died like that!
At the end only three out of seven come out of it alive, but Chico stays there with the girl, so Chris and Vin ride away together.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento