lunedì 5 gennaio 2015

Seven

I like this movie, but I know it's only because of Kevin Spacey. I like Morgan Freeman too, but his roles are never so big as to be enough to make the movie. In this case, his detective Somerset is always stepped over by Brad Pitt's detective David Mills, who talks more and louder. The great idea in this movie is that you don't see Spacey's name in the opening credits, so if you don't know, you don't look for him. What is in there, though, is the name of Michael Massee, and I tell you, had I not already known, I'd have thought he was the guy, the killer, because psychos is what he does. I've never seen him playing a normal, decent guy, not even here actually, although not that much. The movie is 1hour and 57minutes long, very long, and only after 52 minutes we meet him disguised as a photographer, but can't get a good look at his face, always covered, and wouldn't be able to recognise him. Then later we see him from a distance, shooting at David and running to get away. It's only after 1hour and 30 minutes (!) that he shows himself, coming in a taxi and entering the police station, and shouting to get their attention because it would seem that despite the blood on him nobody noticed him until he yelled... then he simply says "you're looking for me" in that quiet voice I like so much. He's Jonathan Doe: "independently wealthy, well-educated, and totally insame" as someone describes him, "because he's a John Doe by choice"adds Somerset. He's the great one in this movie, he's the only reason to watch it again, maybe even skipping something before, next time. I think he's great, the way he speaks in that low quiet voice, how he shuts his eyes at the end knowing exactly what it's going to happen. The way he says everything he says, especially:
Mills: I seem to remember us knocking at your door
John: and I seem to remember breaking your face
---
"become vengeance, David. Become Wrath"
---
She begged for her life and for the life of the baby inside of her (chuckle). He didn't know" which was the last blow. You know, the story was really awful, with this crazy scum killing people in horrible ways (although at least he had the decency and the honesty to be one of them, it means he truly believed what he was saying) and even killing poor David's wife Tracy (Gwyneth Paltrow) who was innocent; probably if there wasn't Kevin Spacey in it I wouldn't like it at all, actually...
Peculiar credits at the end, going down instead of going up...

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento