martedì 28 ottobre 2014

The mirror crack'd from side to side by Agatha Christie

Well, when I first read it ( I was 13, 14 maybe) I liked it very much, and found it very interesting and catching. Many years later, reading it again the thing was different. Not that I remembered anything, my memory practically doesn't exist, if I were ever to be questioned about my readings, it would almost appear like I never read a book in my life! So much that Agatha scared me at the beginning, when she started talking about her previous book, where a body was found in the library... and I thought: NO, I don't remember that, please don't tell me how it went, please don't say who did it!!! Of course she didn't, thankfully, but for a moment she had me worried.
So I had no idea, really, but being all grown up, andn therefore knowing a bit more about people and things, it really was different. I spotted it right away. Being a woman and all, you know; maybe for a man it would be different.
SPOILERS ahead, just saying in case anyone was actually reading this, I'm about to tell details, and to reveal the name of the murderer, so you have been warned, don't go on if you haven't read it.
Now, first thing first, for Miss Marple things were harder because she had not seen everything step by step like we did; she only heard bits here and there of how things went, but we got to go with her friend Mrs Bantry: we saw Marina's reaction when Mrs Bantry talked of her children and grandchildren, and I was hurting for her - I didn't understand exactly if she still has her son, or if he died young because of his problems, but at that point in the story I didn't even know he ever existed, I thought she never had children, but it was clear as everything that she suffered because of this. Of course I thought nothing of it when Heather told hers to Miss Marple, and when later she told it all to Marina Gregg. At the moment, I had not linked anything yet, but later when filling Miss Marple up with what happened, Mrs Bantry mentioned that Marina had stared behind Heather, and that nobody was there at the moment, and on the wall there simply was a painting of the Madonna and child, but she doubted she was looking at that because living there she must see it every day. At that moment everything was clear, because of the pain I had felf in her heart due of not having children, and then knowing that she was looking at the painting of a mother with her child while Heather was telling her of how she had gone to meet her in spite of the fact that she was ill, had made me think, what if she was pregnant and lost her baby because of her... okay it turned out she didn't loose it, but the fact is the same. Heather was not feeling too bad, but was contagious and was the cause of all her pain.

I liked very much the reference to that poem I had never heard before, The Lady of Shalott: Out flew the web and floated wide, the mirror crack'd from side to side, the curse is come upon me, cried the lady of Shalott - I liked it very much, it was very pertinent and love the title that was chosen, that line from the poem.

Still, when you know who did it, the rest becomes quite boring.

ITA assassinio allo specchio

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento