sabato 29 novembre 2014

Eragon - 2006

I love fantasy books, but I've never read this series, so I don't know about the books, but this film is... really nothing special, acually it's pretty boring. Now, the beginning was cool, because battles with dragons are always fun, and also I admit I liked Arya (Sienna Guillory) very much. The scenes with Arya in the woods are lovely.  Eragon finds the egg she was protecting, and soon a little dragon comes out, little and blue, really adorable. The only really good thing about this film is right here, the dragon! It is beautiful, and adorable when it's little. The cutest little thing, really beautiful, all blue with blue eyes= Saphira, of course. Her voice is Rachel Weisz.
The king Galbatorix is played bo John Malkovich, but he has like five minutes total! Serving the king with his magic is Durza (Robert Carlyle), and here I have a puzzle: I like Carlyle, I like wizards, sorcerers, fantasy and all, and yet I don't like Durza. It almost seemed impossible to me, and yet it is so. He just doesn't 'feel' real... still, the final battle's special effects are coll, with his dark magic.. :-)
Brom (Jeremy Irons) trains Eragon and wants to take him to the rebels camp, the Varden. Now, can we take a moment to consider this? Jeremy Irons in a fantasy movie... why they keep doing this? Haven't they learn anything from history??? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against him, on the contrary I like him, and I'd rather have him than Eragon the whole time, and yet I know that the combination JeremyIrons-FantasyMovie is not a happy one! Stop doing that, stop condemning all fantasy stories like this. Please, stop! Okay? Call him for something different, by the way he looked good with that beard, and he talked like Sean Connery, I liked him a lot, but this doesn't change the facts!
Anyway.
The light is cool, maybe it's just the characters that are not well developed. Of course the kid is stupid, that goes without saying: "better to ask forgiveness than permission" : what an idiot, a reckless idiot, an arrogant child who could have gotten them all killed but he's damn lucky as it always happens in these cases, and only Brom dies saving him. I'd like to read the books one day to see if Eragon is really so stupid. I mean, maybe not. Look at Percy Jackson: in the movie Percy is stupid, Annabeth is useless and Grover is unbearable, but in the books Grover is sweet, Annabeth is smart and Percy is loyal and brave, and a shy, good kid!
The best thing of the whole story is that it's all the dragon's choice:
"A dragon will only hatch if it feels the presence of its rider. It'll wait forever, if it has to. But now it's found you. It will serve you and only you, and that's put your life in danger because the easiest way for the king to destroy your dragon is to kill you. A rider will live on if his dragon is killed, but if a rider dies so does his dragon".

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento