sabato 1 novembre 2014

The mystery of the Blue train - by Agatha Christie

This was a good book, but not one of my favourites. It has Poirot in it, which is a good thing, but not enough this time. The whole thing of the famous jewel thief Le Marquis and the con-man every woman loves Comte de la Roche was boring to me, I didn't like those characters at all. I liked Katherine Grey and Poirot, and that's it. It's difficult to be passionate about a story when the characters are uninteresting to you.
The basic plot is simple: a group of people is on the Blue Train to France, and one morning Ruth Van Aldin is found murdered. She was very rich, and her precious jewels have disappeared. Who killed her? Her con man lover to steal the jewels? Her husband she was about to divorce, and leave him with no money? Or someone else?
SPOILERS just saying...
Now, I know about these things, I've read and seen many of them. I knew the fact that Knighton had met Ada Mason in Paris was important, I even thought he meant he was near, and could have killed her, but couldn't imagine why. Assume that he was the Marquis? How could I, there were no proofs, no real indications. About Ada Mason, how was I to know about that actress? There was something strange about her, but from this to imagine she was actually a famous actress known for impersonating males...
that's why I'm not too fond of this book. It's not possible to make deductions and come to a conclusion. Practically, the only way to get it right is to guess!
It's probably possible, yes, but unlike Poirot I don't like to close my eyes (and my book) and think: what if he lied there, it means she lied too, then why, then who was that man, but what if it wasn't a man but a woman... and so on. I just go on reading.

ITA il mistero del treno azzurro

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento