lunedì 10 novembre 2014

Rio Bravo - 1958

I love this movie, it's my favourite John Wayne movie. I love Dean Martin too, I like his character and I like when he sings "just my rifle, my pony and me", which I hope is the right title, and another song the title I can't guess. He had a really beautiful voice. I also love the plot, because it's two hours all in the same place, more or less. The town street, the jail and the hotel, plus a few scene elsewhere in the town. I even like the girl. Angie Dickinson played a very beautiful, cool girl who drives him crazy and falls in love with him :-)
I perfectly remembered the beginning, with Dude (Dean Martin) coming into the saloon already drunk and in search for more alcohol, getting humiliated badly by Joe Burdette, a bad individual. When a sort of bar fight starts, he kills a man in cold blood. Sheriff John T. Chance (John Wayne) and his deputy Dude arrest him, and Dude stops drinking right then.
Dude was a very good deputy, but after a girl left him two years ago he started drinking and never stopped, so he became the town's fool. With Joe in jail, they now are in trouble because his rich brother will do anything to get him out of there. Pat Wheeler, a friend of Chance who wanted to help him gets killed too, and Dude kills his murderer. There's still the gang of Nathan Burdette to worry about, because it'll be a week before the state Marshall will get here.  At this point, an hour of movie has already passes, and it almost seemed impossible that I was only half way through it. It seemed like the final showdown was at hand, but not just yet! Nathan paid men after men to try and try again to free his brother, before getting finally at the final confrontation. Nathan and all his men against Chance, Dude, that Colorado kid and the 'game-legged old man' Stumpy. When that's over, Dude is finally over his shakes, Nathan has been finally stopped, and now Chance can go and get his girl :-)
I really like it; I love especially the friendship between the drunk man about to redeem himself thanks mostly to it, and the unshakeble sheriff who kept his old clothes for two years and even bought back the guns Dude had sold to drink. I like the girl that helped him than was so shaken she got herself drunk and started ranting about how the sheriff would not have yielded and would have gotten himself killed if she hadn't help him and Colorado kill those men. I even like Stumpy, so faithful to them and his duty despite his continous moaning. I've always loved this film, and watching it again after a long time, I still do. Very much.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento