No, I don’t like it. I don’t like this new James Bond and I don’t like this ‘romance’ and teh sad ending, quite convenient for the character but not a nice ending at all. I don’t like how it starts, it makes no sense to me why did he follow that car and why he thought he had to save that girl… I mean, he doesn’t know her, he follows her and sees that she’s at a beach. It’s late, nobody’s around and she walks to the sea and goes into the water… and he runs and takes her out, unconscious… why did he think she wanted to kill herself and how come she’s already unconscious a minute later? And who where the men that attacked him at this point? Wiki says they worked for her father, and yet they attacked him instead of saving her…
The girl runs to her car and drives away and he says “this never happened to the other fellow” …
They are at the same hotel, “Commander Bond” gets the best suite. At the casino, she loses but Bond pays for her who can’t. “Why do you persist in rescuing me, Mr Bond?” - “it’s becoming a habit, isn’t it, Contessa Teresa?”
She’s the Contessa Teresa Di Vicenzo, and it’s all here in her first words: “Teresa was a saint, I’m known as Tracy” and “people who want to stay alive play it safe”: there it is, her past and her future right there.
Bond says “please stay alive, at least for tonight” because he’s a jerk.
They spend the night together and she leaves him some chips as payment for what he paid for her earlier at the casino. Some men take Bond to see Tracy’s father: Draco, of Draco Constructions.
“Marc Ange Draco, Head of Union Corse, one of Europe’s biggest crime syndicates in Europe” (Spectre “operates worldwide”). -2however, your legitimate business fronts are somewhat extensive”
Tracy’s mom died adn he sent her to Switzerland. Tracy is a bit wild, he thinks, and makes wrong choices like marrying “an Italian Count who killed himself in a Maserati with one of his mistresses”.
What he wants is for Bond to court her, “what she needs is a man to dominate her, to make love to her enough to make her love him, a man like you”. Bond finds her attractive and fascinating, of course, whenever does he not, but it’s not for him…
“I’ll give you a personal dowry of one million pounds in gold” but Bond doesn’t need money “and I’ve a bachelor’s taste for freedom” … yet Draco may know something about Blofeld, so they do have a sort of deal. Bond will see her again for informations.
Bond is rather upset whem M relieves him from “operation Bedlam” because after two years he still has no idea where Blofeld is: “a licence to kill is useless unless one can set up the target”. Bond asks Moneypenny to bring his letter of resignation to M, and is again rather upset when M grants it… but it’s only a two weeks’ leave, that’s the request Moneypenny gave M.
When Tracy finds Bond at her father’s birthday party, she knows something’s up and insists her father tell Bond what he wants to know right away.
Draco knows of a possible connection between Blofeld and a lawyer in Bern named Gumbold.
Bond and Tracy spend a lot of time together anyway, like in a romance movie, and she falls in love of course. But, she doesn’t want her dad to speak to him about it, “whatever happens, there’ll be no regrets”.
In Bern, Bond sneaks into Gumbold’s office and makes copies of some documents found inside his safe. All quite easily. Watching Playboy’s pictures to pass the time.
Commander Bond goes to see the Admiral (M). Bond shows off his knowledge of buterflies and M is impressed: “I wasn’t aware that your expertise included lepidoptery” - of course it does, Bond knows everything.
Bond tells him that lawyer Gumbold received a letter with a request “to establish de Bleuchamp’s claim to the title”, a letter by “a certain Count Balthazar de Bleuchamp”: which is the French form of Blofeld.
“I assumed you’d reassign me sir”, os Bond contacted sir Hilary Bray already, the “Sable basilisk of the College” and started reading up on genealogy and heraldry.
We see Bond’s coat of arms: Sir Thomas Bond was Baronet of Peckham and died in 1734. Its motto is orbis non sufficit, the world is not enough.
They went further back and found a Sir Otho le Bon in 1387.
A meeting has been set, Bond will take Sir Hilary’s place and meet Bleuchamp. After a long ride, Bond is taken up to the Alps in a private helicopter: theBleuchamp Institute for allergy research pretends to be no-profit, “for the sake of mankind” but Blofeld is actually working on bacteriological warfare and using his patients to do his work.
The patients are all wealthy, pretty girls and the therapy includes listening to recorded speeches. Who knows why but whenever they hear his voice these girls fall asleep, hypnotized maybe, and only them. Bond shows up at dinner in a Scottish kilt, says that coat of arms “can include all sorts of funny things” like bezants, gold balls, and he says that his coat of arms “includes four of them, if you’d care to see them”. A girl writes her room number on his leg with lipstick. I found the whole scene a bit distasteful, and not funny.
They played curling up there.
Another agent who was to support Bond tried to reach the Institute, but was caught and killed. Bond gives rendez-vous to all girls but this behaviour is so Bond and so not Sir Hilary, he’s found out soon: “respectable baronets from the college of heralds do not seduce female patients in clinics”. Bond also made a genealogy mistake.
As always, the other agent has already been killed, but not Bond. First he’s told the whole plan: the United Nations will receive “the information that I now possess the scientific means to control or to destroy, the economy of the whole world” and he has “prepared a demonstration”. He’ll show them how he arranged the outbreak of a disease in England the previous summer. His research now found virus omega, total infertility, in plants and animals. It could cause “the destruction of a whole strain forever, throughout an entire continent”.
They’ll accept his terms o he’ll “proceed with the extinction of whole species of cereals and livestock all over the world”.
Blofeld says he’s been training his own special angels of death, the girls/patients. Through hyposis they’ll do what he asks when the time comes. Then, Bond iwll be kept there “as my guest. You’ll be very useful in helping to convince the authorities that I mean what I say and I’ll do what I claim” which is nonsense, he does not need Bond at all.
Of course Bond manages to escape, he wears another man’s outfit and skis his way out of there. He’s followed but he’s good at skiing too, like anything else, so good he can even ski with one single ski!
He reaches the village where he finds Tracy, come looking for him. She has a car so she helps him escape. It’s a long chase scene, and she’s driving!
When they’re alone for the night, Bond tells her “an agent shouldn’t be concerned with anything but himself” but he doesn’t want to leave her so “I’ll have to find something else to do” because “I love you, I know I’ll never find another girl like you. Will you marry me? I mean it”. It would have been a romantic scene if I had felt even a bit of feelings in him, but honestly it’s not even a day since he went from the room of a girl to the room of another girl having fun.
Anyway, they escape together, again skiing, but a bad avalanche stops them. “A grave deep enough, I think, to prevent even 007 from walking” …really? He can clearly see the girl and has his men taek her to the Institute. It never crosses the mind of this genius that if she’s alive and well maybe he is too? And of course Bond is, not only alive, but barely covered in snow.
Neither of them felt it much, this avalanche.
When Blofeld acts, sending his blackmail demands, M orders Bond to step back and do nothing. Those are the orders of their superiors, probably thinking the risk too great considering what Blofeld could do.
Tracy is up there prisoner, but that is Bond’s “personal problem”, so of course Bond calls Draco and of course he agrees to save his daughter.
This scene was nice, Tracy recognizes the voice of her father and knows he’s coming. She keeps Blofeld talking, and when the attack starts, she fights back knocking out two men. Good girl.
Draco’s men fire at the Institute, they could hit her!
Anyway, Bond takes pictures of the girls/patients and where they live, and Draco sets a bomb to destroy the entire facility. Bond follows Blofeld but once again he escapes.
Indeed Bond marries Tracy, I wasn’t sure until I saw it. Draco tells her to obey her husband and she agrees “as I always obeyed you” :-p Bond refuses Draco’s dowry, gives his hat to a moved Moneypenny and leaves with his wife. She says he has given her a future, but Blofeld and his loyal Irma Bunt drive by shooting.
Nothing else it touched but Tracy is killed, a shot to the head.
They had all the time in the world…
James Bond is George Lazenby
Tracy is Diana Rigg
Blofeld is Telly Savalas
Draco is Gabriele Ferzetti
Irma Bunt is Ilse Steppat
Moneypenny is Lois Maxwell
Sir Hilary Bray is George Baker
M is Bernard Lee
Q is Desmond Llewelyn (we only saw him at the wedding”
Joanna Lumley was one of the girls/patients
ITA agente 007 al servizio segreto di sua maestà
No comments:
Post a Comment