venerdì 26 dicembre 2014

An adventure in space and time - 2013

Written by Mark Gatiss :-) It's the story of how Dr. Who was conceived and brought to life, and its early years, the Hartnell era we might say.
The story of how Sydney Newman's idea for a new show would turn out to be the legend of The Doctor. A show for the kids, that grown-ups would like as well, so he wanted it to have a beautiful woman and a handsome man in it, with a old man and a kid who would get always into trouble, and thought that the main character had to be a doctor, to be autoritative and reassuring at the same time. Newman promoted Verity Lambert as producer of the show. They chose William Hartnell as the star.Despite difficulties at the beginning, Verity and Sidney believed very much in the show, and kept it going. It soon had a huge success, but eventually Hartnell started to be too old and ill to keep up with it. so Sidney came up with an idea to keep the show alive despite losing their main star. Regenerating the doctor, thus being able to have another actor in the same role.
It's was a lovely tv movie, and the actor really resembled the people they were portraying. David Bradley was William Hartnell, and I've seen the first episodes they were talking about, and it was lovely to watch this. Brian Cox played Newman, and Jessica Raine was Verity: here it shows again how bad I am with faces. As soon as I saw her I thought, I know her, I've seen this actress before, but couldn't place her, then I researched her and immediately saw it : she was Jenny Lee in Call The Midwife.
This was a lovely, affectionate tribute to the story, the legacy of Doctor Who. It made me cry when Hartnell in his home cried and said "I don't want to go" and then in the last episode he (or we) saw Matt Smith standing there with him by the Tardis. Heartbreaking, exactly as it happened to my doctor, Ten, before Eleven arrived. Oh my poor heart.
One day I should rewatch those specials in order to talk about them properly, but right now I'm not strong enough, I'm not sure I can take it.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento