lunedì 1 dicembre 2014

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: book 5: The last Olympian

A great finale, I really liked it, a really good book. I don't think there's anything in it I don't approve! I liked the whole saga, it has been a while since a book, or series of books, kept me so glued to it that I kept reading while walking or eating! Yes, it is true that I don't have time to read as much as I used to, still...  I liked this one very much, and can't talk about it without risking a few spoilers...
I love the fact that we know and follow a lot of characters. Of course the protagonist is Percy, but in this case it's more that justified, it's the only right thing because he's the one narrating the story! So we follow him everywhere he goes and we see everything he does, but all the others are important, not only Annabeth and Grover, but all of them: the other kids, his parents, all the Gods... I approve the identity of the spy, I realise know that I know it that any other name would have been difficult to accept. I liked very much the scene on Nico's mother, the way she refused to leave Hades or her kids, the way she looked at him and how Hades loved her, cared about her and their children. He was the one putting them in the Lotus Hotel to save them. I liked Clarisse and Silena's friendship; I liked the battle with the dragon, how Clarisse defeated him: thinking about "Here's my girl!" makes my heart feel.  I liked Mrs O'Leary and Percy's mom and Paul and was very happy to see Rachel again, happy that she was more than a tool to use in the previous book. Really, can't think of anything wrong for now. Sure, sometimes Percy's jealousy of Luke or Annabeth's jealousy of Rachel were a bit irritating, but after all understandable for them and their age.
The whole book this time takes no more than a week of time, the last battle. Between book 4 and book 5 almost a year has passed, and if at the end of the last one he had just turned 15, now this story starts a week before he turns 16, the deadline for the prophecy. it starts with just a few pages of normal life, telling us he has spent a lot of time with his parents (well, his mother and his step-father, I mean) and with Rachel, before he goes on a mission that will be the beginning of the end. Mission accomplished, yes, but at the high cost of Beckendorf's life. I knew it. There had to be casualties in such a big war, even names we knew. From that, it's an escalation: Nico's plan to 'give' Percy the powers Achille had, the great final battle with Percy as leader of all his half-blood comrades, except the house of Ares, because at the moment Clarisse is so offended with everyone she refuses to fight! It's all very exciting, and at the end, I liked the changes and everything so much that my only problem would have been if it all ended there, just like that. End of prophecy, end of story! That would have made me angry because when you show so many new things, then you should show them well. I was almost at the end and I was thinking: I want to see the new camp, the new kids, the new Oracle, he can't just say: things are changing, and end it there! But then the new prophecy lifted my spirits: if there's a new prophecy I guess we'll get to see it, right? I want to read about it!
Anyway, in this book we see more of Paul Stockfis, we see Poseidon's 'official' family, we hear the whole prophecy, see a lot more of Nico and Hades and Poseidon and more or less everyone, and a lot of battle.
It was all very exciting, and I really can't wait to read more books of this saga :-)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento