giovedì 22 maggio 2014

A knight of the Word by Terry Brooks - useless & kinda offensive

That's incredible. Who does he think we are, stupid mindless readers? His writings has gone really down. That serves me well for keep reading them. I loved the first two books, so I went on. Up to six or seven they were good enough, then I could have stopped, but I didn't want to abandon that world. I know this sounds stupid, but that's how it is. Even if my beloved Allanon had died many books before, somehow I felt closer to him by reading of his world again... It's occurring to me now that I shouldn't say this to anyone, it makes me sound crazy or pathetic, possibly both, but nobody reads this blog anyway so who cares.
Thing is, I went on, I read Running with the Demon, and it was a bit boring at times, but not sooo bad as to leave it at that. I thought, let's go on with the story, but this book was ... infuriating. Not only did he drag a short story for so long, but it filled the pages with infuriating rubbish. My personal thoughts, of course. That's the whole point of this blog. I'm not a book critic, I'm just a reader.
So, he starts off saying John Ross is in trouble, then he shows to us a John Ross without his magic but with a friend called Simon and a girlfriend called Stephanie. Then he talks about a demon and the way and the moment, it's so obvious when I read it that the demon was that girl! He didn't say it, of course, I accepted that, but I hoped he'd come up with something interesting, like: he finding out early enough and pretending just to fool her into false confidence and then maybe a joined-showdown between the demon and the combined forces of Ross and Nest... I don't know, a bit of intrigue and action!
Instead what did I read? He went on as if I didn't know who the demon was, tried to trick me saying someone saw it was a man, as if I couldn't work out by myself that if you tell me it's a shapeshifter demon, who can shift to animal into man, then maybe it can shift to woman too! And insisted on that point, wanting us to believe it was Simon the demon, because Ross had dreamed he'd end up killing Simon, as if I could ever fall for that! There would be no point at all in having Nest there, would it now? Like, Ross is still on the good side, knows the demon, kills the demon, everything's alright, no need to bring poor Nest where she's not really needed!
It was so obvious it wasn't Simon that the whole thing was really annnoying.
But yet he went on all full of himself, with all the characters lost as to who this demon might be, or going in the wrong direction. I just wanted to shout: you idiot, can't you lot see it's her??? Then towards the end there is the big revelation: it's HER!! No!?!Really??? What a shock! Who could have guessed??
I'll tell you: Me! 200 pages ago! Oh what a surprise indeed!?!? And their showdown ir really disappointing too. Nice to see Nest and Wraith again, but they have so little space after all.
I didn't  like this book at all. I'm not the brightest person in the world, but even I could see everything right from the start, so the whole book was just a bunch of useless words, annoyingly taking me for a complete dumb. What a useless book!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento