sabato 3 maggio 2014

OUAT 1x01 Pilot - an inevitable mistake and Robert Carlyle

The fact that it starts with Prince Charming and SnowWhite makes you instantly understand who the real protagonists of this series are, although there are a lot, and I do mean a lot, of characters. Not a problem in this series, because I liked everyone of them, including Snow and Charming. I loved it when she said "the glass coffin made me pause" :-D Then we see the dwarves her friends, the Evil Queen, Rumplestiltskin, which is quite a shock first time round, because he's so ... unique and interesting. If you haven't seen it, we have all fairytale's characters together, and we go back and forth between the past when we learn about their life in the Fairy Tale Land, and the present, where they've all been cursed and don't remember who they are. End of plot. The rest is all about characters. Emma the saviour, so strong and so fragile together, I loved this duality in her. Snow so pure kind but also a fighter against evil, is Mary Margaret (not Mary, everybody calls her MaryMargaret even if they have to shout in a hurry) a kind soul, yes, but also very insecure and not sure on the right or wrong thing to do sometimes. This goes for every character. They are the same, but also a bit different because of the loss of their memory. Can I say it kind of annoys me now to hear Snow saying "she poisoned me because she thought I was prettier than her" and at this point we all think that's true, that's what the fairytale told us, but in the story at that point she knows perfectly well that's not the reason, she shouldn't say that.
The rest of the episode is very good, adorable and exciting. Robert Carlyle is amazing of course (and much skinnier than he is now :lol), but all the others do a good job as well, and I liked every one of them, which is not so common.
What hooked me to the series though was a two second scene at the end of the episode, when you see Mr. Gold exiting Granny's inn. I read somewhere that the writers had to answer repeatedly about the fact that Mr.Gold didn't remember anything as well right to the point he heard Emma's name. I don't actually understand this, because what really did it for me was that you could actually read it in Gold's face. Carlyle really can wear his character's emotion on his face. As he went out the door, he looked around him at stared at Ruby as if he was seeing everything for the first time, because now he finally remembers everything, he knows who they really are although they don't.
That was fantastic, I loved it, Two seconds, really, that was it. But it was everything.

Once upon a time season 1 episode 1, the pilot.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento