sabato 3 maggio 2014

Broadchurch season 1 - both heartbreaking and thrilling

I watched the first two episodes, and it really is a good show as I had heard, and the discovery of this young boy's body is heartbreaking. Follows step by step the investigation to find out who did it.
SPOILERS just to warn you that I want to go into details:
the first episode is all about knowing the city and the discovery of the body, and how people first react at the news. Ellie's son immediately deletes all messages from poor Danny, being careful not to be seen, and this creates curiosity. Why? to protect someone? or were the two of them doing something that grown-ups shouldn't know? We'll see. He certainly didn't kill him, "big hands" and he's 11 so..
The sister looks a bit of an idiot, going to the beach without telling anyone to leave a toy there, not thinking that she may be seen, and she even looks surprise when Danny's name comes out! But then, given the circumstances, she's probably non thinking straight, is she?
And everybody's face looks like the face of someone hiding secrets.
Let's not talk about the journalists Olly and Karen because I'm starting to hate them already!
Episode 2. a lot of things happening here. Money found in Danny's room, that's still not been cleared up.
Cocaine in Choe's room and she says I don't deal it, I was just passing it on. Okay she is an idiot then, the fact that she's 15 isn't an excuse for not considering it dealing! It turnes out she had it for Becca of the hotel, and what does Becca say? She wanted it to give it to some guests so she asked Chloe if she knew where to find it! Of course, you need drugs, go and ask the 15 year old girl to give you some! Oh God!
Did she knew that Chloe's friend Dean could find it?
The episode ends with suspicions rising around Danny's father, and I hope in next ep I will see why he's so reluctant to tell the truth, what he's hiding...
The story is obviously heartbreaking, even more so because the show is so well done, and since it all goes around just one story, it has all the time needed to focus on every character, and all the different feelings. So different from all the crime shows that deal with one different murder every episode.
David's character is so grumpy and tortured inside that I'm all like 'Sweetie, what's eating you up??'
I can't wait to see the next episodes...

the other six episodes:
I just talked about episodes one and two, now I've seen the rest of the series. Of the first one, because I read that they're doing the second!!! Hooray!! As soon as it finished, my first thought before anything else was: they must do a second series!!
Since it's the same crime for the whole series, as I've already told before, things go on quite slowly,as they should. And it was great. It was only deep into the second half of the show that I started having suspicions. (At the beginning I didn't even try, had no clue at all).
now with some spoilers, so be warned.
episode three: Mark is an idiot, let me tell you. Maybe that's why his daughter is an idiot too. Anyway, it was obvious it couldn't be him, if not for anything else at least because we are only at the beginning of it. But he wouldn't say where he was, and we know he lied to his wife. The natural answer is not "than it's him,he killed his son" NO, not at all. The right answer is the most obvious one. Why do men lie to their wife? Why a married man wouldn't say where he was? He was with another woman, of course. He wanted something new and different, the same annoying, infuriating explanation. An empty house all for yourself would be something new, don't you think? But this is my reaction, not the wife's.
Then Miller asks Hardy over for dinner, "because that's what people do" I love Miller! I mean, the reason I wanted so much to watch this was because of David Tennant, but I have to say Olivia Colman is great. Why? Because while you watch it, you don't even realise it. She's SO natural, it seems so real; it's not that easy at all, since very few people can do it. And she won a BAFTA for this role! Very well deserved, even if I suspect  that they mostly based their decision on the ending, when she breaks down, and has to deal with a very difficult situation. But not for me. Every moment was great, because you didn't even notice she was acting. That's great.
Karen and Hardy fight, he says she ruined his life, she says he ruined a case. I'm obviously on David Tennant's side, so back off girl. It's useless to try and make me think that you're not a heartless journalist, but that you are in fact on the family's side. As if I could really believe that!
episode 4: Hardy goes to Miller's house for dinner, all nervous, not knowing what to say,but in the end it ends up okay, him and Mr Miller having a laugh.
Then they got me worried when Hardy goes to the hospital.
the rest of the episodes. The way the city turned on Jack is as disgusting as it is realistic. I mean, I don't approve of what he did years before, doesn't matter if they marrried afterwards. But here and now there is nothing against him. They destroyed him simply because it was easy.
My poor Alec was so lonely, I wanted to hug him!
I can't stand Chloe, I've said it already I think, I don't like her, although I admit the scene when her boyfriend explains about the "happy room for Chloe", that was a nice moment.
Susan's story is important because it leads to Ellie Miller saying to her, before letting her go: How could you not know? and in the end it turns out she herself didn't know a lot! It's easy to judge other people on things you know nothing about, isn't it?
The end of course was so emotional. When I say Miller and  Hardy sitting on a bench talking of going away, I was screaming for a second series. They are great together, I'm so glad they're doing it!!!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento