lunedì 12 maggio 2014

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - I was disappointed

When I first read they were doing this new series I was happy: Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford together in a brilliant and funny series: WOW I thought. I kept on thinking that for a couple of episodes, than I stopped. It's the story of the creation and behind the scenes of a Saturday Night Live kind of show. Danny (Bradley Whitford) is the director, and Matt (Matthew Perry) is the executive producer - meaning head writer. Matt is in love with head actress Harriett, but the two of them keep breaking up, get together, breaking up again.. every time they see each other they fight, showering us with endless teological talks because she's a christian and he's atheist.
Danny's character would soon be without interest, given that he has little to do, so they made him fall in love with Jordan, the new network president (Amanda Peet)
.The beginning was nice, it gave me hope, but it soon lost itself: it should have been the creation of a comedy show, but I saw very little comedy, instead it turns on the dramatic. The big friendship between Matt and Danny was a major point, but they soon forgot about it. I'm not surprised they never made a second series. It disappointed all the hope I had for it. I'm not saying it was badly done, or a bad show, but it wasn't what it was supposed to be. Where was the comedy part of the comedy show? They keep talking about it, but they never show anything. This was what disappointed me the most.
There's an episode when they talk of how badly the audience responded to the sketch of one of the actresses, and they give us a boring and unrequested lesson on Italian "Commedia dell'Arte", but they don't show us the sketch, so we can't judge it for ourselves. That's too easy! To say that you wrote a laugh-out-loud sketch but not showing it to anyone, to say that it wasn't apprediated because the audience is so ignorant they didn't understand it. It's too easy, that way. If you talk so much of a comedy show, then you should show me some comedy! This was the major problem. I saw little comedy, but I saw a lot of talks about how intelligent they are, comedy geniuses, a lot of pointless fights between the two lovers, the final drama of an actor's brother victim of an hostage situation, which again was resolved too easily, without showing us anything. They just say "it's ok now, he's been saved, he's safe now" and that's it.
The annoying thing is that I liked the actors, the characters weren't bad either, it could have been something really good, instead it seems to me that creator Aaron Sorkin, described in the magazines as the genius who created The West Wing, with Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip wanted to tell us : I'm such a genius that I don't need to show anyone what I can do because you wouldn't understand it anyway, because I'm so intelligent and you're all stupid.
I didn't appreciate that, and since it never got renewd for a second season I guess I wasn't the only one.

There were a lot of guest stars, such as Sting, Eli Wallach, John Goodman, Felicity Huffman, and Lauren Graham.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento