giovedì 15 maggio 2014

Carpe Jugulum - Discworld book n. 23

I just reread it, because I didn't remember it well enough to write about it. My memory is almost inexistent, just know this: I didn't even remember who Agnes Nitt was. How could I forget Agnes & Perdita, the girl with two minds, the witch who took over Magrat's cottage after she married the king? It's so very annoying, how I wish I had a good memory!!
Anyway, about this book; it's about vampires, or even worse is about vampyres, the worst kind: the kind that wants to eat you for dinner, the kind that likes to kill the inferior humans and demands that you are ok with it.
They come to Lancre invited by the King for the naming of her daughter, and plan to take hold of the country and make it their own, which means they want to own the people too. But we know Lancre, don't we? It's where witches Nanny Ogg, Agnes Nitt and now-Queen Magrat live, but most importantly is where Granny Weatherwax lives, THE witch, who is in a bit of a blue mood, thinking she wasn't invited to the important ceremony, but nevertheless being a witch she'll do what she has to do. She'll stop the bloodsuckers vampyres, whatever it takes.
Terry Pratchett writings is always wonderful, and it made me laugh Nanny Ogg's Monty Python reference. She didn't know, and if you were to tell her she'd say that they copied her, of course! She was talking about the Nac Mac Feegle and she reminded me of the Spanish Inquisition sketch, my favourite. I almost screamed when I read it.
I can't even remember if I noticed first time I read it, because I didn't remember anything about it, but then again my memory is so bad I probably wouldn't anyway, would I? Didn't even remember Magrat had a daughter at all!
Pity there was no mention of her in I shall wear midnight. It was said that Magrat would be attending the wedding, but no mention at all of where the baby was; well, the young girl actually, because she should be at least ten, by now.
I must admit that I don't quite understand everything the Feegles say in this book. I can well understand what Tiffany's Feegles say no problem, but these lot were really hard to understand!




Bits I loved most:
"their home went through space on the back of four huge elephants that in turn stood on the shell of a turtle that was as big as the world. The people of Lancre had heard of this. They thought it sounded about right. The world was obviously flat, although in Lancre itself the only truly flaat places were tables and the top of some people's heads, and certainly turtles could shift a fair load. Elephants, by all accounts, were pretty strong too. There didn't seem any major gaps in the thesis, so Lancrastians left it at that. It wasn't that they didn't take an interest in the world around them. On the contrary, they had a deep, personal and passionate involvement in it, but instead of asking, 'why are we here?' they asked, 'is it going to rain before the harvest?' "
and
"the philosopher might have marvelled that such a four-square people could give the world so many successful magical practitioners, being quite unaware that only those with their feet on rock can build castles in the air". This is a beautiful line.
and
"In Ghat they believe in vampire watermelons, although folklore is silent about what they believe about vampire watermelons. Possibly they suck back." :lol:







I really loved the moment towards the end when Magrat makes the tea, I think it says so much about them all. I love the witches, always, but that was such a lovely moment :-)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento