giovedì 22 maggio 2014

Escape plan - not bad

After all this years, now Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger are co-protagonists on this film. I know that they were seen together in The expendables 1 and 2, but this time they are together all the time. Although the real lead character is Stallone's Ray Breslin, who will come up with an escape plan (of course) but will need some help. Now, the beginning is kind of nice, a bit of a surprise, because I didn't expect him to be out of prison after only six minutes, although the explanation of how he did it is... well, I can accept it because it doesn't really matter, in a way, that's not THE escape plan we are interested in, but really, do you know how many combinations can you have with four numbers? And you're telling me that in isolation cells, designed to be sofisticated and escape-proof, you can type how many wrong codes as you want until you reach the right one? Because they showed us only him typing the right one, but how could he know which one it was? He knew the four numbers involved, but not the right order. You would imagine that some kind of alarm would go off if you type the wrong security code, wouldn't you? Or they want me to believe he just "worked out" the right order? How???
Anyway, the real challenge, the prison from which nobody can escape. It was rather fun and thrilling enough, not bad, not bad, I liked the two of them together, although before watching the movie I thought they were at the same level, which they obviously aren't. Just the fact that you had to wait half an hour before you can see Schwarzenegger, while you see Stallone all the time. I'd had preferred a film with them at the same level, but who knows, maybe in the future.
I liked Sam Neill's doctor, it was obvious from the first moment we saw him that he would have been an important pawn in the whole plan; in the film there is  also Curtis "50 cent" Jackson, Amy  Ryan and Vincent D'Onofrio, in important but very limited roles. Then there's Jim Caviezel, who is the head of the new prison, and their mortal enemy, of course. His role was bigger, because he was in prison 'with' them all the time, and he did a good job, liked him very much. Nice smirk!
Unfortunately there are some cliché that they should try to avoid doing this kind of films and never do,  like the fact that they have a simple gun and every shot is a kill, while the bad guys have automatic rifles and despite the fact that they never stop shooting and that there's a lot of them, Stallone and Schwarzy never get hit. As always, the plan worked mostly because they are shamely lucky! Also, I'd appreciated it if they could lose this habit of having to say some 'cool line' every time they kill the bad guys, on in crucial moments. It's very rare they're actually funny lines, most of the time they think it's funny but it's just useless and frankly kind of stupid. Like the "have a lovely day asshole" line, was it really needed? No, no it wasn't!
They liked to put here and there a few lines between Stallone and Schwarzenegger to underline the fact that they're together, as if you might not have noticed, like "you don't look that smart" "you don't either" (I was on my couch thinking that the look is their own, while the lines, the bravery and the fighting skills are just a script, not sure why they insisted on having me thinking about that), or when they told each other how complicated had it been to become each other's friend (don't remember the exact words, I should have written them), stuff like that.
Now for some real spoiler, ok? You be warned
SPOILERS
I didn't even know, before watching it, that he escaped from prisons for a living, as a job, to test prison's security! I only knew that they were together :lol:
I liked the first doctor's lines, when he's asked how can he work in a place like that, and he replies something like "you'd prefer there wasn't a doctor here?". I also liked Javed's 'hero' moment, and it was kind of touching when he said "just give me your gun", with that look... I actually felt for him in that moment. Good job from actor Faran Tahir, indeed.
My favourite moment of all was when they are escaping, and before disabling the cameras Ray says to the other two to "say cheese!", and they put on such a face, I laughed out loud!!
The big switch at the end, the CIA girl is in fact Schwarzy-Rottmayer's daughter, and she wanted Ray in that prison as to free her father. Thanks, this explains why Rottmayer was attached to Ray from the first minute they met, but at the same time raises a few questions of its own.  I'm not sure about this code-name thing. Good on the other hand is the explanation that Ray's fake name Porthos was a code-name, so Rottmayer knew who he was.
I didn't like it when he refused when they offered to drive him where he wanted, because what was he waiting there for, then? He says "I made my own arrangements": really? How? When? Well, I guess they could have both called someone from the elicopter...
So, it was the girl's plan to have him in there, to get his father out, but she didn't bury him there (obviously she wanted him to get out with dad). It was Clark who wanted him buried there forever, this we know, but at this point does the whole thing really make sense? Because if Clark had not betrayed him, wanting him there forever and telling Hobbes (Caviezel) who Porthos really was, I don't know if this whole thing would have happened because would he get out of prison real criminals? If he had thought they were real dangerous criminals? I'm not sure who Rottmayer/Mannheim is supposed to be, but he talked about himself as a new Robin Hood, which is kind of the good guy.
Not that I care too much. I'd like to see a film when they are at the same level, or maybe a Schwarzenegger/Eastwood film. I know they've always made very different films, but I wouldn't mind the two of them together, tough looks both of them :lol:

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento