domenica 18 maggio 2014

Sherlock series 1 - amazing

This first series is amazing. I was never a big Sherlock Holmes fan, and barely knew the actors' names before I watched it, I had only heard it was a new series on the Arthur Conan Doyle books but that every story would be set in modern days London, with the help of every technology of 21st century. I wasn't sure that this could work out, but that was before. Then I watched it. And rewatched it. And rewatched it.
Each Sherlock episode is practically a film: it's 90 minutes long and is sooo well done!!
Unfortunately the fact that they spend so much time and care on it apparently means that they can make only 3 episode each season.
In the first series we have




ep 1 - A study in pink -  which is absolutely fantastic.
I absolutely love John's line "Nothing happens to me" because it explains everything about him, I think. He says that when his psychiatrist tells him "writing a blog about everything that happens to you will honestly help you".
After 5 minutes we meet Detective Inspector Lestrade talking to journalists. Everybody receives strange sms saying "wrong" :lol: "we have our best people investigating"=wrong :lol: The last sms was to Lestrade, saying that he knows where to find him :lol:
I can understand why Sherlock can't find a flatmate, but honestly, why does John thinks nobody would want him for a flatmate??? He says "come on, who'd want me for a flatmate?" as if that was obvious... why say that?
After 8 minutes we finally meet Sherlock, with Molly :-) Poor Molly, does he understand how she feels about him or not, at this point?? I love Molly, those two "okay" she said at the start were enough for me! Sherlock is mean to her, although he probably doesn't mean to. "your mouth is too small now" .... really? Come on, you insensitive...
I loved when John's friend said "yep, he's always like that" :lol: John's look says it all :-)
Sms: "if brother has green ladder arrest brother" oh Sherlock :lol:
After 12 minutes we meet Mrs Hudson, and first thing Sherlock does is to hug her! Maybe doesn't seem that much a thing first time you see it, because you still don't know Sherlock very much, but after a while you understand how special that hug is. How special Mrs Hudson is , for Sherlock. So much that a few minutes later he'll kiss her on the cheek! Sherlock, kiss!!!  Then Lestrade comes to get him, to ask him to come and help, he even does a little bow with his head while saying thank you, before leaving... they didn't have that much of a relationship, before John, huh? Anyway, Lestrade is so wow!
At 15:10 there is happy Sherlock, jumping and twirling because he finally has an interesting case! The music is so perfect, really perfect. I like it very much when they go out of the flat, it seems almost like dancing :-) Before going out happy Sherlock comes back to stamp a kiss on Mrs Hudson's cheek :-)
In the car, we have a demonstration of Sherlock's deduction, than John surprises him:
John : that was amazing
Sherlock : you think so?
John : Of course it was. It was extraordinary, it was quite extraordinary
Sherlock : it's not what people normally say
John : what do people normally say?
Sherlock : piss off!
very serious and John smiles. I love this scene, because it's already all there, the basis for their friendship: John doesn't despise Sherlock for being more intelligent, and that is one thing Sherlock is surprised about, he has never found before. He got everything right about John, except that he doesn't have a brother, but a sister: Harry is short for Harriett. You see how pleased he is to have some company, and someone that compliments him instead of insulting him. I mean, first words Sgt Sally Donovan says : Hello freak... no surprise I don't like her, only one I like less is Anderson. I don't like Anderson at all.
I approve that in this second-version, long-pilot Sherlock doesn't put that blue-lab-thing on :lol: Lestrade is a bit annoyed at Sherlock's behaviour, wondering for a seconds why he puts up with it: "because you need me" - "yes I do! God help me" :-D I so love Lestrade, so good, manly and strong, he has no fear, no problem at all admitting he needs the help of this annoying ...
One thing that amazed me about this episode first time I watched it is how great is Lestrade, he's good, intelligent and charming. I so love Lestrade, it would be much different without him. Not the same about that girl in the car, I'm so glad we'll later see only Microft, without her. She was so annoying and useless.
Mark Gatiss is such a lovely Microft, they're so perfect brothers... "I worry about him, constantly". True, because he knows him. It should have been obvious that they are brothers from the first time he deduces John at their first meeting. "you're not haunted by the war, Dr Watson, you miss it" . Different words, but it's what Sherlock also thinks, clear when he says "and I said dangerous, and here you are".
Sherlock is using nicotine patch... well, that's good, considering that in the books Sherlock used real drugs when he had no work, not caring that Watson disapproved.
How come that when they're at Angelo's place Sherlock seems to be all considerate of what he thinks might be John's feelings for him, but isn't the same about Molly?? Poor Molly..
"Welcome to London" was really funny, like John says :-) and I love when they laugh, because Sherlock's laugh is so awkward, as if he's not used to laughing with a friend. He doesn't have friends, so this must be a first for him :-) also when he says "why would she still be upset?" and at everyone's look he turns to John for directions: "not good?" "bit not good, yeah" and here is where John starts helping him in social life :-) I mean, why would she still be upset? Yep, I see it, sociopath alright..
"your back, NOW, please" again, I love Lestrade , and how he says that. He has one of the best lines of the episode, of the series even "because Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think, one day, if we're very very lucky, he might even be a good one".
The murderer has figured him out too : "clever enough to bet your life? ... You'd do anything, anything at all, to stop being bored" yes, that's the Sherlock from the books, it was exactly like that.
It's amazing the difference in Sherlock already at this point, from the start to this end, when he stops his deductions to protect John "actually, do you know what? Ignore me. It's the shock talking. ...What now? I'm in shock, look, I've got a blanket!" :lol: I love this. plus, when he says "I caught you a serial killer..more or less", he looks a bit like Jared Padalecki in Supernatural, only in that shot right there, when he turns to Lestrade, in no other moments I'd ever say something like this, but in that moment...
Anyway, back to Sherlock having changed during only one episode: at the end, not only Sherlock chuckles with John, but he's also making jokes :-) and here is where their friendship is consolidated, not because of the shooting-he-saved-his-life-thing, but at the moment John says "because you're an idiot" and Sherlock takes it. This is it. They are, in two very different aspects, and are not in others. They accept this about each other :-)
Sherlock's line : "Oh my god, what is it like in your funny little brains, it must be so boring" and  "Mrs Hudson took my skull", I love how he says that! - "I'm not a psycopath Anderson, I'm a highly-functioning sociopath, do your research".. :-) ;  "you lot, you're all so vacant. Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing" ...
and
John: That's brilliant! - Fantastic!
Sherlock: You know you do that out loud?
John: Sorry, I'll shut up
Sherlock: No, it's.. fine.
:lol: he likes this :-)

ep 2 - The blind banker -  which is good, but is my least favourite simply because the others are more than good :-) But John saying "I had a row in the shop with a chip and pin machine. It sat there, and I shouted abuse" may be its best moment. But then, we see Sherlock doing a sort of flirting with Molly only to get her to help him... so he does know that she likes him??? again, poor Molly...
I've got one question about the episode: if they thought that John was Sherlock, and they took him, then for whom did they left the "deadman"-message? I mean, they left for yellow signs before the actual kill.

ep 3 - The great game -  which is amazing. Moriarty comes out in the open, playing with Sherlock and having fun watching him run solving his little puzzles (called murders by the rest of the world).
This episode was when I had my personal explanation at the why Sherlock is so affectionate with Mrs Hudson, hugging her and kissing her, when he's so distant from the rest of the world. When Sherlock talks to John understanding that John is so disappointed in him because he seems not to care about people in danger, and Sherlock points out he's not a hero, and I thought: everyone wants him to be something different: a boyfriend, a hero, a friend, a good man, a team member, everyone except Mrs Hudson. She never expected him to be anything. That's probably why Sherlock is so comfortable around her.
I was amazed also at the fact that in a way Moriarty wins everything, in this episode. He plays Sherlock as he wants, having him believing and doing exactly what he wants. It's amazing. The series ended with a big big cliffhanger, but luckily we don't have to wait for season 2, and we can see right away how it goes...

I don't want to say too much, because you should really see it, if you haven't. If you like crime stories, of course.

It's difficult not to love those characters: John is the most normal of them, but is kind and caring. Molly is adorable, Lestrade is a very cool and handsome detective, Mycroft is Mark Gatiss and if you remember him from Doctor Who then I've got nothing to add. Sherlock is a very complex character, I'd say, because he calls himself a sociopath, he doesn't understand sentiments and the importance people give them, he can't comprehend why people act like they do. Yet you see how he's changed from the first episode when he seemed to be the loneliest man in the world to the third episode, when he was scared to death for John's life.
I realise now I haven't even mentioned the actors' names, so much I love the characters! Sherlock Holmes is Benedict Cumberbatch, called Ben by the fandom because Benedict Cumberbatch is 20 letters and tweets have limited lengh: too much familiarity? No, the fandom Khan do this and more :lol:  John Watson is played by Martin Freeman, before he became Bilbo Baggins. Mrs Hudson is Una Stubbs, Molly Hooper is Louise Brealey, and our handsome Detective Inspector Lestrade is Rupert Graves. I adore Lestrade!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento