giovedì 22 maggio 2014

Can you keep a secret? by Sophie Kinsella - so lovely-adorable

I know she's famous mostly because of the Shopaholic series, but personally I love this one most of all, best thing she's  written!
It's written in first person, and from the point of view of Emma, a normal girl, I could say, but very kind and funny. She lives with two flatmates: her best friend Lissy, who really seems the best friend ever, and Jemima, who to me is an alien.
Like every human in the world, she has a few little secrets that are her own, but one day she's on a plane, and it's going badly, and she's scared to death and what with the vodka, what with the terror, she's totally losing it. She thinks she's going to die. She starts blabbering about the things she hasn't done yet, and all the things she has never told anyone. She ends up telling everything about her, her job, her boyfriend, her family to the stranger sit next to her. Only to discover later on she only 'thought' he was a stranger, when she meets him at work!! How can she deal with a man who knows her every tini little secret?
This is funny and adorable, and touching: it juggles with your emotions. I love Emma, so positive about life; I'd like to know how she manages that. I absolutely love this book. Totally, every word. From the first page.
After a few lines I was already in love. This is how it starts:
<<<Of course I have secrets.
Of course I do.
Everyone has a few secrets. It's completely normal. I'm sure I don't have any more than anybody else.
I'm not talking about big, earth-shattering secrets. Not the-president-is-planning-to-bomb-Japan-and-only-Will-Smith-can-save-the-world type secrets. Just normal, everyday little secrets.
Like for example, here are a few random secrets of mine, off the top  of my head:
1 my Kate Spade  bag is a fake
3 I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is.
4 I weigh 9 stone 3. Not 8 stone 3, like my boyfriend Connor thinks. (Although in my defence, I was planning to go on a diet when I told him that.  >>>

Not even a full page and I was already, totally in love. Maybe it's just because I'm italian and hte book is so adorably English in every line, I don't know, it's possible, so maybe if you're British you won't find it SO amazing as I did, still it is funny so try it anyway.
 I like all the characters in here, all except Kerry, Nev and Artemis, of course, but that's alright, because I'm supposed not to like them. They are mean to Emma, so in a way they're mean to me that I'm reading the book in the first person.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento